Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ashdown fallen angel 40watt combo buzzing and hissing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ashdown fallen angel 40watt combo buzzing and hissing???

My amps developed a buzz and a hiss. On initial research, pre amp tubes may have been to blame, but these have been replced and the problem remains. The amp hisses without and with an input and gets louder with the master volume turned hp. The buzz only occurs with an input and its volume is unaffected by anything. The amp also has no gain, it just seems to produce the dry signal from the guitar. An amp tech has said this may be soldering drying out or the output transformer may have become detached some how. Any help would be appreciated. I can provide a video at request.

There are many things it could be. Dries out solder or a detached output transformer would not be among them. Here's a xchematic for further reference if the thread progresses:

Prowess Amplifiers - Misc - Schematics - Ashdown FA60 - Fallen Angel 60

It may be a faulted connection. A bad ground, cold solder joint or dirty switch. Are there any other symptoms you can tell us about? Loose pots or input jacks? What happens when you hit the footswitch?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      There are many things it could be. Dries out solder or a detached output transformer would not be among them. Here's a xchematic for further reference if the thread progresses:

Prowess Amplifiers - Misc - Schematics - Ashdown FA60 - Fallen Angel 60

It may be a faulted connection. A bad ground, cold solder joint or dirty switch. Are there any other symptoms you can tell us about? Loose pots or input jacks? What happens when you hit the footswitch?
      Footswitch works fine but amp remains the sme. The pots do crackle a bit but have never caused a loss in signal. The amp has been in transit recently and could have knocked something loose. Think my only option is to have a tech look at it and hope its just one easy solder job.

Comment

Short of some undiagnosed greater failure, which I doubt, a good tech should be able to trace the problem fairly quickly. Repairing the amp then comes down to access of the offending problem.

Do not take the amp to the tech that said you have dried out solder or a loose output transformer.

Get a recommendation from a music store that sells amps and perhaps even offers repair services (though they may shop that service out, most do). IMHE this is the quickest way to get your amp running again. Probably the cheapest too.

I looked up chassis shots of that amp and noticed that it has board mounted tube sockets. This is often a source for broken board traces (a faulted connection) and not the sort of repair to be handled by a novice.

Good luck.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X