Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best regulated 9v adaptor

Hey Folks,

I wanted to ask what you guys find is the best wall wart 9 vdc regulated adaptor out there some of you have used. I was using the 1 Spot on my Boss ME 50 and noticed a slight hum in the background. I tried a Planet Waves 9 vdc adaptor and it was much quieted but only rated at 300ma. The One spot is rated at 1700ma which is great but having the hum isn't so great. I use the 1 Spot on my old pedal board and it has that slight hum too. I wonder If I need to build a regulator box to put in between to fix the hum issue.

It seems the 1 Spot shouldn't hum since its supposed to be one of those really good power supplies.

Slo

1 Spot

The 1 Spot got em all beat.

1 SPOT Power Supply :: Visual Sound, LLC

Comment

The 1 Spot and the Godlyke are both SMPS power supply units. You would get high pitched whine rather than a hum if anything. Maybe some hiss. Sometimes...... digital pedals don't like the 1 Spot or Godlyke because they can introduce high frequency noise in the rail than messes with the clocks in the microprocessors. But the problem doesn't manifest as hum. They just don't work right if at all. The best power supply is still batteries, but I use a 1 Spot on my pedal board for my 9v pedals. And they are inexpensive. I recommend trying one.

Comment

The 1 SPOT is what he is having the trouble with.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
          I was using the 1 Spot on my Boss ME 50 and noticed a slight hum in the background.
          Slo
          Did you buy it from a local retailer where you can exchange it? Maybe you got a bad one... I have several of those 1 spot units. The only problem I've encountered is when trying to run my Vox Time Machine along with other devices I get that high pitched whine/hiss, so the Time Machine needs a dedicated 1 spot, and then it's OK. But I've never heard a hum from using one.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'm not sure if they still have it, but Visual Sound used to have a list of compatible and incompatible pedals, with respect to the 1-Spot. The basis for any incompatibility can range from plug polarity to digital artifacts. But worth consulting.

Comment

Working...
            X