JTM45 build advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTM45 build advice

So I am having a JTM45 built for me by a great dude from Memphis Tennessee.

I'm pretty sure I basically want just a standard JTM45 with no major mods aside from maybe a post phase master volume.

I am one of those weird dudes that considers themselves a rhythm guitar player and I'll be using the amp in a band setting.

Does anyone happen to have any thoughts or suggestions on what sort of mods or different build options might suit a build for a "rhythm guitar player?" I know thats an extremely vague way to put it, but I can try and break it down more, sort of like...a bit more compressed but not more gain and still enough growl...tight but still with some sag/bloom...good note to note separation...a bit tighter bass than normal...maybe even glassier highs than normal?

Could either be tube changes, tone circuit changes, different rectifier tubes?

I am doing my own research as well but it would be cool to hear some suggestions!

Well, the point of choosing a jtm45 would have to be the amps overall tone. You lose so much of this with a PPIMV. I know they work for some players, but it's really not giving you the tone of a jtm45 anymore. You could check with your tech and see if he's confident/competent in installing a power scaling circuit. This would give you the sound of the whole amp at different volumes. I'm personally fond of attenuators for small volume reductions, which also allows you to hear the clipping and distortions of the whole amp. So you could also just skip any additional circuits like a PPIMV or power scaling and just get an attenuator to use with your new amp.

JM2C
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I found the JTM45 circuit a bit bass heavy (duh, it's a Fender Bassman!) so made a few changes to tip the tonal balance / control range of adjustments more to my preference, see
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Oooh that looks interesting and I have some JTM45 iron waiting for a build, nice!

Comment

I agree with pdf64, however, it might work like a charm for you. By the way, you sure you wont miss Reverb?
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X