DeArmond Model 210 info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeArmond Model 210 info

I came across one of these and was hoping to find out a little about them, such as general construction, magnet type, wire gauge, turn count and how they sound. Maybe one of the Daves know about them? Thanks, Dan
    Attached Files

I had the archtop version with the red front with no poles. It was a really nice sounding pickup.

This is probably similar. I remember it used very thin wire (45-50?) and had pretty high DC resistance. I remember reading something like 1M, but that was with a cheap analog meter kit from Radio Shack, so it was probably off.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks, David, sounds like this is a little more obscure than I thought (only one response)...

Comment

some info

search google patents for harry dearmond, there is a patent for that type of pickup but they changed the design a bunch of times over the years. of course there is never any mention of wire gauge or alnico type but its interesting reading....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

the one I had/have (someplace) had five non-adjustable polepieces (no polepiece under the second string.)

I used it with an off-brand acoustic through my folks' Magnavox console for about 6 months until I got a used Gibson tweed Falcon and a new Silvertone guitar for Christmas in '67....

Comment

impedance...

Hi, I have a '50s adjustable pole 210 that needs to be rewound. I'm really curious if anyone knows the impedance and wire gauge/type to use. The wire does look unreasonably thin, so I'm thinking that it must be at least 44 awg.

I have the fixed pole version that's still working, and that has 12K resistance, so that will be what I'll try to wind it to initially if I don't hear differently, but the fixed pole pickup has a much smaller/weaker set of magnets, so I don't think that they were wound the same. Same size, and roughly the same depth of windings, so maybe. Since it's still working I'm not going to risk disassembling it to see if it uses thicker windings.

Comment

Originally posted by koozito View Post
              Hi, I have a '50s adjustable pole 210 that needs to be rewound. I'm really curious if anyone knows the impedance and wire gauge/type to use. The wire does look unreasonably thin, so I'm thinking that it must be at least 44 awg.

I have the fixed pole version that's still working, and that has 12K resistance, so that will be what I'll try to wind it to initially if I don't hear differently, but the fixed pole pickup has a much smaller/weaker set of magnets, so I don't think that they were wound the same. Same size, and roughly the same depth of windings, so maybe. Since it's still working I'm not going to risk disassembling it to see if it uses thicker windings.
              It's always 44 AWG. If the pickup is dead, weigh the coil and rewind to that weight.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Anuvver HARRY jobbie

s Spence said allways 44awg and this pdf may help
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                  It's always 44 AWG. If the pickup is dead, weigh the coil and rewind to that weight.
                  That's a clever idea!
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                    s Spence said allways 44awg and this pdf may help
                    I've been trying to find this patent... thanks!

Comment

Does anyone know what the red material was that was used for the bobbin? I cant figure it out.

Also, according to the research i've done, the DeArmond pickups made by Rowe Industries will have wire ranging from 36 to 44 gauge, and no higher. Thier coil winders were only capable of using that range of gauges. So most likely the wire will be 42-44. The pickups were spun at 2000 RPM. I'm going to unwind two dearmonds shortly including an 1100 and a Mandolin pickup to get the TPL.

b.

Comment

The red stuff.

Gotta think in the 50/s and 60/s cus your not gonna get that colour now.
                        David gets near with his phenolic circuit boards but I believe Dave uses copper coated boards but the plain board is available and is very orange in colour. Tufnol is another good substitute but again off colour, so, you got to hunt the old material. Phenolic resins due to industrial demand have been cut to lighter colours for the wood industry and maybe others due to it's staining properties and maybe there's a health and safety thing there as well. If you wan't that old red colour then youv'e got to hunt down old equiptment ie junk radios and the like. About a couple of years ago I decided to get shot of an old Lowery organ I had to make way for a nice old Hammond and couldn't sell it for love or money so I recycled it back into my workshop. Enough large red circuit board material to get a dozen bobbins plus about 300 feet of mint condition different coloured cloth covered wire, great Fender replacement and the right age, as well lots of old .02 roc caps and more junk that did go down the tip but it tought me to forget modern materials for jobs like this and look in other directions where that material was used. Charlie Watkins used hair dryer switches and Hofner and a lot of European companies used radio knobs which are all still available. You still see the old Fender three way switches in the old movies when you see inside a telephone exchange so look at the old supply houses or junk shops and see what you can recycle.

Comment

Thread killer Johnson strikes again !
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

wot i done

Who me bruv? only stating the obvious and I wish you would be proper english and drop your haitches now and then. It's jonson wivout an haitch.

Comment

Alright Jonson. No mawer aitches. Meanwhile, I'll give myself a bee's knees lemon peel to. Sorted mate.
                              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
                              X