6j6 & similar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6j6 & similar...

Any reason I can't use these as a parallel-triode gain stage? I have a bunch of oddball tv tubes that I would be willing to use if possible. Strictly experimental, no time frame on when I'd try it... meh, tone is subjective.

The 6j6 has a shared cathode, separate plates & grids. Parallel possible? Just cirious. Otherwise I'll unload em.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Isn't that an RF tube?

I would think that the shared cathode would tend to be microphonic.

Maybe use it for a phase inverter?

Comment

I'm not sure of the original app... So, maybe just keep it limited to function stages? Or... Hmm, not phase inverter, but drivers for 2 small SE sections? IDK, just trying to think of a use for these. I've got a slew of series-filament tubes, too, but trannies are expensive! I just remembered that long thread about using oddball tubes from a while back; I'll check it out.

Thanks,
      Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Actually the 6j6 is intended for both AF and RF use, up to 500 MHz, at least according to RC30.

Comment

Why not PI? Kinda similar to a 12AT7 in capacity.
          Speaking of 12AT7, you could drive a 1W-ish pp OT with these...

OTOH, they draw 50% more heater current than a 12A_7 tube, and can draw 2 or maybe three times the idle dissipation of a 12AX7 without breaking a sweat. Why make the PSU do all that extra work?
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Ha, I totally forgot about this thread! Why make the power supply do all the extra work? Just to use up junk I have lying about... I'm not really after anything that sounds like anything else. As long as it makes ONE useful sound, it's fine with me... even if it IS a high-pitched shriek. That's what modulation effects are for!

Justin

PS what thread did you get your sig from, eschertron? I'd like to read it...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
              what thread did you get your sig from, eschertron? I'd like to read it...
              I'd have to do some digging for that one, probably posted early to middle of last year, not too long before Steve took his hiatus. IIRC the thread was started by someone who wanted their amp to be - well, you know - louder. After a series of helpful suggestions from forum members, to no apparent avail, Steve's post appeared as a kind of sigh of resignation. After all, if the amp MUST get louder, but it WON'T get louder, then it ... must be broken.
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I just think it's a funny quote. Thanks for the info.

Justin

Comment

PS what thread did you get your sig from, eschertron? I'd like to read it...
                  Inside of the sig, just click on the button that says "view post"
                  (and don't think that I found that button before I spent way too long looking for the post. Doh!)
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Aaah. The little >> thingy. It only shows up if you directly quote. I bet there's all kinds of goodies around here if you just try clicking on everything... kinda hard with a tablet, though!

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                      Inside of the sig, just click on the button that says "view post"
                      (and don't think that I found that button before I spent way too long looking for the post. Doh!)
                      You can do that??!! This place is getting more like the Wonderful World of Oz every day!

edit: and so the OP was from 2009. I must have been doing some digging when I first joined this forum, then

p.s. So it's possible to carry around the links to the threads that answer all the frequently-asked questions, in the sig line! Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                        So it's possible to carry around the links to the threads that answer all the frequently-asked questions, in the sig line! Awesome
                        Might make for an AWFULLY long sig line... 40,000+ posts by Enzo, R.G., Juan,Chuck, g-one, Jazz P Bass, Loudthud, and everyone else with thousands of posts to their name? Sorry to leave anyone out - those are only the ones who popped in my head. Hey, you said ALL the FAQs...

Justin

As the OP of this thread, I declare the major drift okay.

Comment

As the OP of this thread, I declare the major drift okay.
                          Seconded

and pretty good info!

Comment

Working...
                          X