Old Strat - E string has low volume!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Strat - E string has low volume!

I have a 1984 Japanese made Squier Stratocaster (Gibson scale) with the vintage trem that I have been frequently playing since 1987. The other day I started to play it at a rehearsal and realized that the high E string had a noticeably reduced volume and sustain, only the one damn string. This problem happened suddenly, it wasn't like that the day before. I noticed that it was a little buzzy so I replaced the bridge saddle with the appropriate chrome Fender replacement saddle, replaced the string, and checked the setup. The relief seems fine. I even raised the action a little. I have been playing this guitar for many years and it is about due for a re-fret but this problem makes no sense. It isn't the nut. It doesn't matter if the note is open or fretted. It isn't the pickup. It does it on all 3 pickups. It is very strange and has me completely befuddled. This has always been my most reliable and favorite beater. Any suggestions or insights?
    Last edited by olddawg; 11-18-2014, 04:34 PM.

That is strange.
    The only part of the chain you didn't mention was the Volume Pot?
    I've had strats that have weak E strings on the neck pickup, because the strings didn't line up over the poles.
    With it suddenly happening, it still sounds like a fret or something touching issue?
    I'm sure you changed the string?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      That is strange.
      The only part of the chain you didn't mention was the Volume Pot?
      I've had strats that have weak E strings on the neck pickup, because the strings didn't line up over the poles.
      With it suddenly happening, it still sounds like a fret or something touching issue?
      I'm sure you changed the string?
      T
      Thanks for your reply T. There is definitely something I am missing. Yes, I did change the string, I'm not that addled, have abandoned most of my bad habits so it isn't my state of mind either. I'm about ready to to take it to a Luthier I know. I just hate to do it. And usually, if it is a problem I can't figure out, they don't make any profit off of fixing it if they do, lol. I think a daemon has got into it.
      Last edited by olddawg; 11-18-2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I knew you changed it, I couldn't resist!
        You mignt try the old plug a cable in test.
        turn the volume pot all the way up and measure each pickup at the cable plug.
        Try flipping the switch to each pickup and see if something doesn't test right.
        If it does it with a open E, then I don't know.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Have you tried it with the old saddle back in that spot?
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but work the pickup selector switch back and forth and see if it improves. I have a Japanese Squier strat from the same era and my pickup selector acted flakey. I don't remember one string dropping out, but I do remember the volume dropping out and thin tone etc. I replaced the switch with a good solid one and no more problems.

Comment

I'm wondering about the string itself. Could it be a different gauge (smaller)? Could it be a different alloy (nickel vs steel)? With a replacement string as a variable, I think it's worthwhile to consider if the set it was taken from is different than what's on the guitar.
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

All the electronics and pickups have been changed to American boutique stuff long ago. The only thing the same is the neck, but, body and trem unit. The trem unit is the same as an American vintage trem from that era. It has the same problem with either saddle and I have been using an EB 9 set forever. I'm in the twilight zone with this one. I'm going to connect the bridge pickup straight to the jack and see if there is a difference, but I still think it is a mechanical problem.

Comment

olddawg, Did you fix it?
                  Was curious what you came up with?
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    olddawg, Did you fix it?
                    Was curious what you came up with?
                    Thanks for your interest T. I am total stumped with this. I connected the bridge pickup to the jack and I have the same problem. I am convinced the problem is mechanical. It isn't the nut. I can capo at the 1st fret and still have the same problem. The relief looks good. The saddle is new. The trem float is perfect. It is just the high E string, maybe a bit on the B. The strange thing is I have been playing the damn thing for 28 years with no issues. It's even stranger since it happened abruptly. I think I'm going to have Scott Lentz take a look at it, but I know he is going to recommend a refret because it is nearing that time. Then it will drive him nuts. And... I have never had a guitar I really liked after a refret from anyone.

Comment

If it's mechanical, then there must be some point (maybe not very playable) you can raise the action to where the E becomes more equal output relative to the others? Either by raising the bridge or shimming nut? At least that would tell you for sure if it's mechanical. If you don't like refrets, I think you should be able to get around it some other way.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                        If it's mechanical, then there must be some point (maybe not very playable) you can raise the action to where the E becomes more equal output relative to the others? Either by raising the bridge or shimming nut? At least that would tell you for sure if it's mechanical. If you don't like refrets, I think you should be able to get around it some other way.
                        Yeah.. I tried raising the action too. There is something simple I am overlooking. I feel like the mechanic who's car never runs!

Comment

Comment

Another test you can make is to slide a small rod or wire under the strings at the nut.
                            That should raise the strings enough that you should get a non restricted clear ringing tone.
                            I know this happens with all pickups, but to test pickup magnets, you can take a steel rod, and test each magnet for magnet strength pull!
                            If the e magnet is less than the other string magnets, maybe a magnet recharge may be in order.
                            Just trying to think of something that it may be.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X