Musicians Turntable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians Turntable?

I was not sure where to post this but here seemed like the most appropriate spot.

I recently looked for a musicians turntable because of the recent resurgence of vinyl records and to my amazement, there was not even a mention anywhere about them. It seems that no one knows currently or even seems to remember what these things were or that they even existed. I don't know if the term musicians turntable is even a proper coined phrase but guitarists from my era knew all about them and certainly had one. I guess this could be called a 4 speed turntable these days with 78, 45, 33-1/3 and 16-2/3 rpm speeds. It's the 16-2/3 rpm speed that makes it a musicians turntable. Back in the 50's this was very common and there were records recorded at 16-2/3 rpm, mainly spoken word records and like that. This is because that slow speed has a low fidelity for music and is not real suitable for that purpose. That slow speed however is a godsend for guitarist of my era because you could play a 33-1/3 rpm record at that 16-2/3 rpm speed and have it play back at 1/2 the normal speed. This made it far easier to figure out that tricky guitar part on that new record. It was still in tune but just a octave lower than normal, most important, 1/2 the speed. This is way before the appearance of tape recorders and digital playback systems. It was all we had to use at the time and as I said it was a godsend. Does anyone know where you can get good cheap 4 speed turntable these days, or one with 16-2/3 rpm speed?
    ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Originally posted by Sowhat View Post
    ...you could play a 33-1/3 rpm record at that 16-2/3 rpm speed and have it play back at 1/2 the normal speed....
    It was still in tune but just a octave lower than normal, most important, 1/2 the speed....
    Does anyone know where you can get good cheap 4 speed turntable these days, or one with 16-2/3 rpm speed?
    Do you want the turntable for nostalgia's sake, or to learn music from recordings?
    You can download Audacity from SourceForge for free, and use it to slow down music files without changing the pitch.
    You can also use it to transpose up or down, without changing speed.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

The downside to that being you will have to digitize all the vinyl first. And no simple knob to turn for pitch adjust .
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There are turntables that have a USB output. Go figure.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

There is also a free app for your smart phone or iPad called "Slow Down" you can slow any mp3 down to any speed without changing pitch. I use it a lot. I have it on my phone and have used it more than once at a rehearsal to settle an argument.

Comment

Working...
          X