Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Chromebox M004 (Ubuntu here I come!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention that the HP laptop comes with Linux drivers- no hacking required!

BTW I was comparing Win 8.1 to Android, not a real OS like Linux, earlier Windows, or Mac OS. It is great for toys like tablets.

I like the pricing model used for Android apps: there is usually a free version supported by ads and if you like it you can pay a few bucks for the premium version. If you buy it from the Play Store you can use it on any Android device on the same Google account.

Steve

P.S. My game plan has been to connect to the internet only through a Linux box, using Windows computer only to run my serious programs off-line.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I'm currently running Mint XFCE 17.
      It is very customizable, and it looks like this screenshot.
      I have it setup to look like the classic win 98 Desktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-12-13 10:34:43.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	836169
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

BTW, Ubuntu has a version called Ubuntu Studio.
        It is low latency, and has a lot of studio software preloaded.
        And, it is built using the XFCE Desktop, my favorite Desktop.
        Index of /ubuntustudio/releases
        I recommend the 14.04.1 release.
        Here are some screenshots of it.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=scre...w=1366&bih=602
        On the Ubuntu version of XFCE, I modify it and move the start panel to the bottom, to make it look like the mint XFCE.
        It is a very easy change.
        Once you get everyting going, I recommend looking into Multi partitions, and running linux in dual, or triple linux boot mode.
        That way you can have Mint cinnamon on one partition, mint mate or mint XFCE on a partition, and Maybe Ubuntu studio on a 3rd partition.
        At start up the grub loader will let you pick which one you boot to.
        Works slick.
        I have my Toshiba 500gb drive setup where I can install and pick from up to 5 linux distros, and it still had room for a Storage partition.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X