Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm really discouraged with new laptops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid 2015.
    That's the tentative date at least.

Comment

I wonder what happened to Windows Version 9?
      It must have been Nuclear?
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Perhaps it was a working title "Windows Plan 9 from Outer Space". Windows 7 is good but yet they thought they should even screw that up and released 8. I give up on Windows...
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I'm hoping that mentality doesn't carry over to Linux.
          It Ain't Broke, I hope they don't try to fix it!

T
          Last edited by big_teee; 12-14-2014, 01:05 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I've heard they skipped number 9 because there is some system call or something that checks the windows version, and apparently windows 95 and 98 return the value as if they were "windows 9" (and since there may be people that still run them (!), some software and/or hardware wouldn't work right)

Or something to that effect

Comment

windows nein
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It probably worked too good......so they didn't release it....

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                  It probably worked too good......so they didn't release it....
                  Had lots of free pre installed software, and was resistant to malware and Viruses!
                  So they Scrapped it!
                  Terry

Comment

Had lots of free pre installed software, and was resistant to malware and Viruses!
                    So they Scrapped it!
                    well whatta know.....they were probably paid not to release it....
                    reminds me of the electric car

Comment

I recently had to replace my T-61, which is on its third fan, with a T440p. I'm hard on laptops, so I pay for durability.

The 440 came with win 8.1. I hate this. My searches led me to Start8, which comes very, very close to the Win 7 desktop, including start button. You have to buy Start8.

... it costs $5! You absolutely bet you I'll pay $5 for someone to straighten out that mess for me, without me having to go reinstall, downgrade, and fiddle for a day to get it to work. And you can try it for free for 30 days.

This has moved Win 8 from having to be replaced to "I can ignore it and get on with computing".
                      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Glad start8 works, but it is pretty sad that it is necessary.
                        Granted Linux is not for all, but Mint Linux solved my Win8.1 problems for free.
                        Last edited by big_teee; 12-14-2014, 03:07 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                          The 440 came with win 8.1. I hate this. My searches led me to Start8, which comes very, very close to the Win 7 desktop, including start button. You have to buy Start8.

... it costs $5! You absolutely bet you I'll pay $5 for someone to straighten out that mess for me, without me having to go reinstall, downgrade, and fiddle for a day to get it to work. And you can try it for free for 30 days.

This has moved Win 8 from having to be replaced to "I can ignore it and get on with computing".
                          I paid a few bucks for a Win 7 add-on that gave me the Start menu from WinXP. I'll have to look into Start8.

I got a good deal on a slightly used HP 15 laptop with 8.1 which arrived yesterday. After charging it up I found that it was asking me for password for username "tscapes". Mr. Google told me to try inserting a Win 8.1 installation DVD so I tracked down an ISO to create the disc and guess what- it worked! It gave me the option to restore to factory settings and I clicked on "Fuck Yeah!" so here I am looking at a really cool desktop graphic. Clicking on Start brought up those damned tiles. So was it Windows 2 (286) that gave us tiled windows??? What goes around comes around...

Switching from Android tablet to HP 15-f039wm...

Damn- a full keyboard... wow! This model comes with Linux drivers and support so no hacking required. I have a new hard drive which will be strictly for Linux and will be my main computer for connecting to the internet.

I'm downloading 75 important or recommended update so when I pull this hd out it will be up to date as of today.

Steve
                          Last edited by Steve A.; 12-15-2014, 02:53 AM.
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

no issues at all with W8. It's fast and works great with everything. Most of my hardware that was XP based with editors also work. One thing that I like about PC is backward compatibility.

My wife didn't like W8 until she learned those few windows button shortcuts. I told her those button shortcuts have been around even for W7. Most people just never learn to use that utility function. Always going, start, explorer etc. Easier to use Windows button and shortcuts. She says how do you fly around that screen like that! Memorize those most common shortcuts. Same applies to W8.1.

Seems more people just read about the hassles of others not really willing to dig to new os's than they do just digging in. I had a coworker going ape about W8 and telling me he has read countless reviews of how bad it was. I said what have you done besides read reviews? Did you fish tutorials? Did you just go to youtube and learn the basics? Practice them a few times? Pinning to tiles is pretty cool. I can use either screen and navigate just fine. I also have an imac, so I'm used to command plus key shortcuts.

LEARN the shortcuts. They work for W7 too. So much less annoying click and drags of the mouse. Save's your wrists too!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...cuts=windows-7

http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Windows_8.html

http://darktips.com/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts/

One of my fav's is Win button + E. I move in and out of different hard drives, usb and sd cards constantly.
                            Instead of going with mouse Start>Computer>Drive location for each drive to open, I hit Windows button +E as many times as I need explorer windows.

Need to search? Windows +F instead of mouse to Start button and typing in files.

Need to move through files/windows open? Windows button+Tab. Watch how cool that is!!

DIG IN!
                            Last edited by guitardad; 12-15-2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                              I give up on Windows...
                              Yeah yeah...

I can remember saying that from 95 to 98, then 98 to xp, then...(I actually appreciated the transitions from 3.1 to 95, and from xp to 7) lol
                              Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
                                I've heard they skipped number 9 because there is some system call or something that checks the windows version, and apparently windows 95 and 98 return the value as if they were "windows 9" (and since there may be people that still run them (!), some software and/or hardware wouldn't work right)

Or something to that effect
                                LOL that'd be great (so some extent!)..you can already hear people in the streets: "Free upgrade to w9 from w98!! WOOHOO!"
                                ...while the hardware goes into shock and seizures. lol
                                Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
                                X