Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm really discouraged with new laptops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really discouraged with new laptops.

I'm really discouraged with new laptops.
    I bought a pair of new Dell laptops for me and the wife. They seemed like a really good value at $299 ea. from Best Buy. My wife likes hers, but mine just irritated me till I accidentally broke it and took it back. I had it about a week.
    I was trying to install Linux Mint alongside Win 8.1 when it just stopped working. I got a green screen (gsod?) that told me to reinstall Windows. Ok, except it didn't come with a Win. disc. So I took it back thinking that I would find something that didn't have so many downgrades from older computers.
    First is Windows 8.1. I don't understand why everything is so spread out. Program icons (tiles?) on the start menu are so large they don't all fit on the screen. What was wrong with a simple list situated in the lower left, just above the start icon. Also laptops don't seem to have edge scrolling on their touch pads anymore, and no more separate audio in/out jacks. You just get one jack that switches function depending on what you plug into it.
    So now I'm looking at Chrome books at least the OS makes more sense. I'm a little concerned with storage space though. They mostly have small solid state storage devices instead of a hard drive.
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Windows 8.1 (as I've read glancing-ly) does have a "classic" mode supposedly that gets rid of all the 'fluff spots' and makes it look more like the windows you're used to.

Might be worth a google and checking on putting it in that mode. Assuming you replaced it with the same. Even if you didn't, if the wife kept hers, she might prefer the old interface that we're all used to.

Your GSOD sounds like a custom firmware-related thing. I know that in the past I've seen that on Acer or some other 'offbrand' (read as: 2nd or third tier partners). Either way, sounds like a hard-coded BIOS level prompt/screen that was set by the manufacturer. Though Dell does love change...so green wouldn't surprise me as being the new 'flavor'. lol

Also laptops don't seem to have edge scrolling on their touch pads anymore, and no more separate audio in/out jacks. You just get one jack that switches function depending on what you plug into it.
    Welcome to budget laptop-land!
    To get those "premium" features ...you have to spend almost 3x as much anymore.

Anyways, I feel your pain. GL in the hunt for satisfaction!
    Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
      Also laptops don't seem to have edge scrolling on their touch pads anymore,
      try moving TWO fingers up and down the touchpad

Comment

They have cheapened them up a lot.
        I feel your pain on the Win 8.1
        I couldn't get win 8.1 off of there fast enough.
        Some of the toshibas are pretty nice for the buck.
        When I look at best buy, I write the model down and research at home, before I bite.
        IMO Chromebooks are a step down.
        My granddaughter has one, and it is pretty limited.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
          try moving TWO fingers up and down the touchpad
          Hey! that works. Thanks.

Still trying to get to classic start menu. I think that might only work in W8 not 8.1, though there is a free program that does that. I'll try that if I get another w8.1 laptop. The wife doesn't want me messing with hers. I might break it

Comment

If you start running free programs to get the classic look?
            How many Malwares are you loading with it?
            Here's a pretty good tutorial for 8.1 features.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtevX8yyfk
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

$300 is (and always has been) a very cheap price for a laptop with relatively new technology. Intel CPUs and MS OS have every little changes in their prices from low end to higher end laptops so something has to give, and its all the little plastic bits, the number of cells in the battery, and the amount of time they sweat the bios/drivers. Business types are very interested in downgrading to Win7 and having encrypted SSDs for security reasons, and very few laptop bios are robust enough to do this. Win8 is an affirmed tech cul de sac, a steaming pile of OS, made passable by Classic shell and almost OK as 8.1. Hoping to get a super cheap laptop which will handle Linux/Ubuntu/Win8.1 triple boot of some such complexity will require a HUGE amount of homework and tinkering, but if you're into Linux/Ubuntu you (by definition) love this stuff! Travel the world with a $300 laptop? I do not recommend it, as they are super flimsy, good luck!

Comment

It's a challenge, but doable!
                IMO the first real breakthrough is to get rid of the 8.1 OS.
                Either by putting a different cheap Hard drive in, or by wiping out the current one.
                But, do that at your own risk.
                Mine never leave the home, and the cheapies work fine for that.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
                  Still trying to get to classic start menu. I think that might only work in W8 not 8.1, though there is a free program that does that. I'll try that if I get another w8.1 laptop. The wife doesn't want me messing with hers. I might break it
                  8.1 gave us the Desktop back but not the classic start menu which I think is gone for good. When you press Start you return to the tiles which can be edited to run the programs that you want and to turn off the damn "live" tiles. Long-click* for the menu to select size and other characteristics of tile, or to delete it.

To add a tile to get to the desktop type "desktop" into the Search menu (drag right edge to the left) and long-click the appropriate listing and select "Pin to Start."

I have Windows 8.1 on a tablet which actually makes sense when compared to Android. I have no idea how you would run it on a laptop without a touchscreen.

Steve Ahola

P.S. You need to Google around to find out which laptops can run Linux and how to go about doing that. Good luck!

* Long-click on a tablet or touchscreen might mean right-click on your laptop.
                  Last edited by Steve A.; 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    IMO the first real breakthrough is to get rid of the 8.1 OS.
                    Either by putting a different cheap Hard drive in, or by wiping out the current one.
                    I'm just learning about this myself but in many cases you need to change settings in CMOS setup to be able to run other OSs. In particular you probably need to change UEFI to CSM.

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

With Win 8 Pro you have "downgrade" rights if that's any help.

How to Downgrade Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                        I'm just learning about this myself but in many cases you need to change settings in CMOS setup to be able to run other OSs. In particular you probably need to change UEFI to CSM.

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
                        Some laptops, don't have that option.
                        My toshiba, C55-5180, only has UEFI, and no CSM capability.
                        Every Laptop is different, and there is no hard and fast rules when it comes to win 8.1.
                        The newer ones might have that, but not all.
                        On mine you can disable the secure boot, but not the UEFI.
                        Also, when you talk about win8, it is different than win8.1, and much harder to modify.
                        Win 8.1 comes on all new PCs at present.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

My laptops never leave the house, so durability hasn't been an issue. I guess I'll re-purchase the Dell, and get used to it. The free program that I mentioned earlier is Classic Shell. It's a download from c/net. I've never had a problem with anything from them before.
                          I'm not one who is generally opposed to change, but Windows seems to change every few years for no apparent reason. It's not getting better in any way that I can tell.

Comment

Windows 10 is 'supposed' to return to a reasonable semblance of normalcy.

Comment

When is Win10 due out?
                              I've heard a lot of bitching, but not heard a kind word about Win8.1.
                              **edit
                              I looked it up, and it is coming out Jan.21 2015.
                              I copied this.

"Windows 10 will focus on better multitasking and an improved desktop experience" Duh
                              Last edited by big_teee; 12-14-2014, 01:07 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X