Wal Bass Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowNote View Post
    Just for reference, I buy all my magnets from AllMagnetics in Anaheim, CA. They aren't the cheapest around, but they usually have good stock and fast service. From them, 3/8" x 3/4" A5 rods fully charged are $1.54 each. I just got another batch in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
      Just for reference, I buy all my magnets from AllMagnetics in Anaheim, CA. They aren't the cheapest around, but they usually have good stock and fast service. From them, 3/8" x 3/4" A5 rods fully charged are $1.54 each. I just got another batch in.
      That is probably a reasonable price for 3/8.
      Is there a minimum order?
      Tnx,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

One nice thing about allmagnetics is that they are made in the good old USA.
        Last edited by David King; 12-27-2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Mojotone has the closed music man covers for dirt cheap. I just got some there the other day. AddixionFX will have music man magnets as I'm sure will other places. They should be 5/8" long or maybe 3/4 depending on what they were copying. I'd still hold out for 8mm magnets. You don't want inch long mags, that will be too much string pull.

Barefootnit's alnico prices are stupid high.
          Does gauss increase as the magnet gets larger?

LowNote

Comment

Originally posted by LowNote View Post
            Does gauss increase as the magnet gets larger?

LowNote
            Yup, that's the idea. More magnetic horsepower. Magnetic field strength is approximately proportional to volume/weight of the magnet (assuming all else is equal). Most of the pickups that I build for my basses use 3/8" dia x 3/4" long A5 rods.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              That is probably a reasonable price for 3/8.
              Is there a minimum order?
              Tnx,
              T
              I don't think they do. If so, it might be $25. I've ordered less than $50 a few times. They have a web site, but it's kind of funky. You can get some information from it, but you can't directly order online. You have to call them. The same nice woman has been answering the phone for at least 15 years. She'll remember you from the last time you ordered a few years back. You can hear her flipping through the index cards, and then she sets the phone down and walks back to check and see what they have in stock. She processes your order that afternoon, probably taping up the box herself. And it arrives by UPS the next day (I'm only 75 miles away). It's that kind of a place. Right out of the '70's.

They don't stock large quantities of the rod magnets. If you want hundreds of them, she'll have to order them, which may take a few weeks. They are good for small orders, service is fast, and prices are reasonable. She said that their magnet grinder is in the Chicago area.

I've been buying from them since about 2004, and I've never seen any quality problems. The magnets have always been very consistent in dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                Yup, that's the idea. More magnetic horsepower. Magnetic field strength is approximately proportional to volume/weight of the magnet (assuming all else is equal). Most of the pickups that I build for my basses use 3/8" dia x 3/4" long A5 rods.
                Gotcha, learned more new stuff today. Thanks Bruce

Comment

I've got some longer 3/16" AlNiCo 5 (maybe some 2 as well) magnets if anyone needs a couple.

PM me if interested.
                  www.zexcoil.com

Comment

3/16 are .187".
                    About the only bass application would be for J-bass pickups if real long, if they are short they are guitar magnets.
                    They would not have any Multi-coil use, which is why the 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 are being discussed here.
                    Last edited by big_teee; 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I'm about to start making an eight-coil pickup with adjustable poles. Anybody interested in seeing pics of the parts and pickup under construction?
                      Marko

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
                        I'm about to start making an eight-coil pickup with adjustable poles. Anybody interested in seeing pics of the parts and pickup under construction?
                        Marko
                        Of course!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          3/16 are .187".
                          About the only bass application would be for J-bass pickups if real long, if they are short they are guitar magnets.
                          They would not have any Multi-coil use, which is why the 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 are being discussed here.
                          So then I take it you won't be pm'ing me...
                          www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
                            Marko
                            Me too, looking forward to it!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

ScottA, I use that type of magnet, where did yours come from? I'd be interested in checking them out.
                              Also I'd be really surprised if a single 3/16" magnet wasn't wide enough to work for most basses, especially in the bridge position. String excursion over a J bass neck pickup is almost never going to exceed 1/4". As we have learned recently the string maintains it magnetic charge even when not directly over the magnet.

Comment

Sorry Sheriff.

Comment

Working...
                                X