Wal Bass Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee
    The only bass pickups that seem to use 3/16 magnets are fender type pickups that use 2 per string.
    This thread was about 8 round multi-coils with 1/4 and above, not small magnets.
    We got off on the 5/16, and 3/8 magnets for 2 reasons.
    1. because we found matching fiber washers, and 2. because it will all handily fit a MusicMan Cover.
    No machining,, no drilling, no fuss.
    Back on topic, back on the wals, and multi-coils.
    T
    Not quite... the 3/8" poles will fit the MM covers, but since these washers are 3/4" diameter, the spacing would be off I imagine.

EDIT: Turns out the MM covers that Mojo sells have 3/4" spacing between the poles. Did not know or expect that.
    Last edited by Chris Turner; 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

So here's about how I make my multicoils.
      Making the nonadjustable bobbins please check out
      Multicoil pickup pictorial | TalkBass.com

For adjustable polepiece bobbins it's basically the same plus making the bobbin cores out of acrylic tubing. Drilling and tapping with M5 thread. Glued with CA, this time I made the bobbin plates out of acrylic too as I ran out of fiber board. Acrylic is pain to drill and tap as it seems to heat very quickly and the drill bit and tap sticks to it. I found out that I have almost full cans of silicone mold rubber so I may make molds for these bobbins and cast them out of casting urethane next time. If I make eight molds I can cast bobbins for one pickup at the same time.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000908.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	836301
      Then winding as usual. All eight coils wound.

Name:	WP_000915.jpg
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	836302
      Then the baseplate. I drill it at the same time as the cover to make sure the holes match.

Name:	WP_000917.jpg
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	836303
      And baseplate etched. This one is going to be pair for a string series, pairs in parallel.

Name:	WP_000920.jpg
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	836304
      Next is taping the coils, mounting them on the baseplate, soldering the leads and wax potting the pickup.
      Last edited by Marko Ursin; 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
        Just for reference, I buy all my magnets from AllMagnetics in Anaheim, CA. They aren't the cheapest around, but they usually have good stock and fast service. From them, 3/8" x 3/4" A5 rods fully charged are $1.54 each. I just got another batch in.
        So, I called All Magnetics and got some weird customer service... spoke with a lady there that asked me if I had ever ordered from them before, and where I lived. After I gave my answers ("no" and "Arizona"), she gave me some other number to call. The number was for some place in Colorado called Master Magnetics.

Do I need a secret password to order from All Magnetics or something? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
          So, I called All Magnetics and got some weird customer service... spoke with a lady there that asked me if I had ever ordered from them before, and where I lived. After I gave my answers ("no" and "Arizona"), she gave me some other number to call. The number was for some place in Colorado called Master Magnetics.

Do I need a secret password to order from All Magnetics or something? lol
          Huh. Maybe you just caught her on a grumpy morning. Or they may have a distribution territory agreement with their supplier. Call the other place, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
            Huh. Maybe you just caught her on a grumpy morning. Or they may have a distribution territory agreement with their supplier. Call the other place, I guess.
            Heh... yeah, I called the other place, and they'll be contacting me with a quote. Seems that both places are maybe under some umbrella company: The Magnet Source. Both All Magnetics and Master Magnetics have a "The Magnet Source" logo on their websites.

Comment

Here's the new Magnet price list from Shea at MagneticHold.
              The new .312" (5/16"), and .375" (3/8") magnets will be available in 4 weeks.
              He has to order them, but will try to keep some in stock after the initial 4 week stocking period.
              Prices look great.
              Tnx,
              Terry
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
              Last edited by big_teee; 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Coils taped, glued to the baseplate and wires soldered. I mark start of each coil with a dot when taping. Reverse wound is easy to make by flipping the coil around. That's why four coils have the dot on lower washer side and four have it on the higher washer side.

Name:	WP_000925.jpg
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	836317

Name:	WP_000926.jpg
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	836318

Then it's time for wax potting. I use vacuum potting as I'm too impatient to wait the air to escape from the coils.
                I glue 5mmx5mmx75mm ceramic magnets on both sides of the set screws. Two has N facing to the one row of screws and two has S facing to the screws. I use hot melt glue for this as well as gluing the pickup to the cover. Cover is shielded inside with copper tape. And here it is, pickup ready for mounting.

Name:	WP_000927.jpg
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	836319

Comment

Thanks Marko for sharing your time and professional methods.
                  You are a true professional.
                  Your pickup looks fantastic!
                  I bet it sounds great too!
                  Thanks again,
                  Terry
                  **edit
                  Link to updated magnet list.
                  It includes the 5/16, 3/8, and 10-32 A5 rod magnets for wide range pickups.
                  http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
                  Last edited by big_teee; 12-30-2014, 11:31 PM.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Marko, Thanks for all the photos, very helpful. Are you using annealed pole screws? Have you tried both Alnico and ceramic magnets? I'm just curious how sensitive these pickups are to small changes.

Comment

Thanks guys. The poles are set screws from local bolts'n'nuts store. I guess they are a bit harder than average bolts. I have tried alnico poles, nonadjustable steel poles with ceramic and neo magnets and adjustable poles with ceramic magnets. I have wired the pickups pair in series, pairs in parallel (new Wal) and row of four in series and rows in series (old Wal). New Wal wiring has a bit clearer lows and a bit lower output. Steel poles with ceramics have nice sound, neos have a bit harsh sound no matter the size if neos used. Alnicos sound fine too. I can't hear big difference in anything else than neo magnets.
                      As for rounds per coil I have wound everything between 7500 and 10000. No big difference between these either. Especially when wired like old Wals.

Comment

Found these. They have quite a verity of sizes but in 4" or 6" lengths. They would have to be cut to size. Maybe a fiber cutting wheel on a dremmel tool.
                        https://buymagnets.com/product/65/Al...-Grade-5-Cast/
                        https://buymagnets.com/product/64/Al...-Grade-5-Cast/

LowNote

Comment

Originally posted by LowNote View Post
                          Found these. They have quite a verity of sizes but in 4" or 6" lengths. They would have to be cut to size. Maybe a fiber cutting wheel on a dremmel tool.
                          https://buymagnets.com/product/65/Al...-Grade-5-Cast/
                          https://buymagnets.com/product/64/Al...-Grade-5-Cast/

LowNote
                          That would work for custom lengths.
                          however That is over $2 an inch for .312, and .375, plus they need cut.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Here's one from the back of the pickup.

Name:	WP_000932.jpg
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	836337

And the pickup on the bass. Headless carbon fiber necked, carbon fiber skinned alder body. Everything from my own shop including the neck.

Name:	WP_000934.jpg
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	836338

Soundclip of this bass. Pickup in MM position thru MM Stingay preamp clone, no bass boost, treble flat too.

Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - 8 coil adjustable poles

What do you think about the sound?

Comment

I have first silicone mold of 5 bobbins done and second one is just cast. Now I have to order some casting urethane and fiber board for washers. I'm making the bobbins so that one washer is cast with core, the other washer is made of fiber board and superglued on the core. This should reduce the time making bobbins a lot. Now if someone has a cheap and easy to use and make cnc winder plans please let me know.

Comment

Here's first coil made with cast bobbin parts. Makes it a lot easier to make bobbins and saves quite a lot time.

Name:	WP_000948.jpg
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	836585

Comment

Working...
                                X