Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hotrod Deluxe Scrapper!

Hi all,

I have a burned out HR Deluxe with extensive PCB damage. However the cabinet is all fine. As is the speaker, transformers, choke.
    I'd like to use it as the basis of a nice simple Fender build. Possibly a 5E3 '59 tweed. Although the power transformer won't have a winding for a 5Y3 tube as the HRD was SS rectified.

Basically I'm after peoples thoughts of what to do with it! I'd toyed with a 6G6 bassman circuit but I just don't think it would sound right with a single 12".

This might give you some ideas.
    Green Eagle Amps - Home

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
      This might give you some ideas.
      Green Eagle Amps - Home
      Thanks for that Bill. Very interesting (and promising). Esp' the Weber SS rectifier. I wasn't aware that existed and would be a neat solution.

Comment

You could build a super 5E3 and keep the 2x6L6. Series resistor in the B+ to introduce some sag. If you want to drop the voltage some to give less headroom use a MOSFET dropper - just three components soldered to the legs of the transistor and bolted to the chassis. You may need to change the cathode resistor to get the idle current correct. A standard 5E3 board would go right in and you'd need to build a small rectifier board.

I'm thinking getting towards the Neil Young Tweed sound - 5E3 with 2x6L6.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          You could build a super 5E3 and keep the 2x6L6. Series resistor in the B+ to introduce some sag. If you want to drop the voltage some to give less headroom use a MOSFET dropper - just three components soldered to the legs of the transistor and bolted to the chassis. You may need to change the cathode resistor to get the idle current correct. A standard 5E3 board would go right in and you'd need to build a small rectifier board.

I'm thinking getting towards the Neil Young Tweed sound - 5E3 with 2x6L6.
          I was initially thinking a 5E3 as I have a couple 6V6's kicking around. The HRDLX doesn't have any 6L6's in to keep atm. I'm less familiar with the 'Super Pro'. Was that a later 5E3 with 6L6 power section?
          A 5E3 incorporating the Weber copper cap seems a good route to explore.

Comment

You may still need to drop the B+ for 6V6 operation to hit the Tweed-era sweet spot. Bear in mind you'll need to make sure the primary load is correct for 6V6 by doubling the output load (eg. 8 Ohm on 4 Ohm tap)

Comment

Ah yes.

The 5E5 circuit seems a good option. Possibly the 5E5-A, need to look at if the HRDLX output tran is a linear feedback type. I think I'd like without. The Fender Amp Field Guide

Comment

Working...
              X