• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mojotone hand guided tensioner

Merry Christmas and Happy new year everyone

Anyone tried this thing? Any thoughts?

Hand Guided Tensioner Tool

Don't know how the Mojo tool works, but I just built this yesterday. I'll have a chance to try it out later this week when some new magnet wire arrives in the mail.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tension tool.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	836305

Comment

Nice! That looks like it'll work well

I guess I should say I'm asking more about these tensioners in general, not specifically the mojo one. I haven't been winding very long and just run the wire through my fingers. I'm wondering if there is any real advantage to getting something like this, or just keep using my hands and try to get a consistent feel for the tension that way

Comment

My answer would be: yes. I've wound a grand total of five coils, and each one got a little tighter as I became more comfortable with the wire. I made this tension tool for the next batch because I know that fatigue became a consistency issue. For this next batch, I'm basically winding two or three of the "same" coils, but just changing other variables- magnets, cores, baseplates. I don't know how much more consistent this tool will make my work, but I'm going to give it a go.

Comment

For that price you could buy an RC servo and manual joystick actuator and build a real wire guide/tensioner.

Comment

Pretty neat but I wonder what size the opening on the guide is. It's hard to tell but it looks like there is a lot of slop.

Comment

Originally posted by larams View Post
              Pretty neat but I wonder what size the opening on the guide is. It's hard to tell but it looks like there is a lot of slop.
              On the Mojo unit, or mine? I can tell you the outfeed tube on my little jobby is the (clean, empty) end of the ink tube from a ballpoint pen. Yes, there is slop, but I wasn't going for accuracy. After all, it's still hand-winding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
                On the Mojo unit, or mine? I can tell you the outfeed tube on my little jobby is the (clean, empty) end of the ink tube from a ballpoint pen. Yes, there is slop, but I wasn't going for accuracy. After all, it's still hand-winding.

No sorry. I didn't mean yours. I was watching the mojotone video and looking at their nozzle part. I dunno it seemed not that great for the price IMO.

I like yours and think it's a clever idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
                  Hi Jason

You can always reduce the nozzle ball pen tube size by heat stretching the tube over a candle flame , an old modelmaking trick.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                    Hi Jason

You can always reduce the nozzle ball pen tube size by heat stretching the tube over a candle flame , an old modelmaking trick.

Cheers

Andrew
                    Yes, I suppose I could do that, but maybe I'm missing something: for this purpose, how important is the size of the outfeed nozzle? I'm going to be holding the tension tool an inch or two away from the guide bar on my winder. The collars are set to match the bobbin spacing, and the traverse becomes the only manual task. Actually, as part of this attempt at consistency, having the wire under control with the tension tool, I'm going to try keeping my eye on the counter to lay down (roughly) 100 TPL.

Comment

I use a tensioner when I hand guide, but it's secured to the bench. I still guide the wire with my fingers, but with the tension under control winding is much easier.

With the tensioner mounted to the bench, it's one less thing to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                        I use a tensioner when I hand guide, but it's secured to the bench. I still guide the wire with my fingers, but with the tension under control winding is much easier.

With the tensioner mounted to the bench, it's one less thing to hold.
                        An even better idea!

Comment

Such a good idea, in fact, that I think I'll drawer my funny little tensioning tool and build a tensioner that attaches to a guide arm on my winder.

Comment

Yep, hand-held tensioning tool: in the drawer. New, mounted tensioner: done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	winder with new tension guide.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	836363Click image for larger version

Name:	new tensioner.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	836364

Thanks, John H!

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and advice here guys!

Originally I wasn't even sure if I would use a tensioner at all. Thought maybe the best option in the long run was to stick with just my hands and learn to really feel the tension between my fingers. But now I think I will try a similar felt tensioner mounted to the bench and see how that goes

Comment

Working...
                              X