No announcement yet.

mojotone hand guided tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weekend, I wound eight coils: four with 42 and four with 43. I had wound five previously, and everything was new and experimental, so I didn't have anything to compare to, besides the second to the first, third to the second, etc. But now, I feel like I've really learned a lot about my setup and know where to take it from here.

Specifically related to this topic about tensioning, I gotta say my new mounted tensioner kicks ass. The great thing is once I set the tension on the first coil (after a little experimentation and gradual tightening), I was able to leave it for the subsequent coils using that gauge. When one coil was finished winding, I'd just pinch off the finish end at the guide, leaving the wire coming off the spool still in the felts. When I was ready for the next coil, I'd solder on the lead right there and mount it up for winding and tension was already set. Only after finishing that gauge did I pull the wire out of the felts and put the spool away.

The second thing that I really appreciated about the tensioner is that you can stop winding at any time and just let go. The wire stays tight, pretty much right where you leave it, and you don't have to worry about wire falling off the coil or getting tangled.

Admitedly, this is probably as far as you can go and still call it "hand wound." All I had to do was guide the wire with my fingertip. Actually, while this was a relatively comfortable and enjoyable process, I'm now thinking about some sort of traverse system - whether fully auto, or some sort of remote manual setup - to make it as hands-off as possible for consistent TPL. We shall see!

By the way, all of my observations here are probably a big "DUH!" for experienced winders, but these are things you might not learn until you've given it a few turns.

Comment

Jason,

I just looked at your first picture in detail. Is that an old Stanley router in the background? It sure looks like one to me.

I have a 50's Stanley Overarm Pin Router that uses those style router motors. They are just real solid workhorses. One year I went on eBay and bought all I could find -- mostly 1/2 inch collets with one a 1/4 at unbelievably low prices. I keep the bits mounted to them and just change the motors out for different pin router applications. I even use the router base attachment that came with most of the eBay routers for truss rod channel routing and similar hand held applications.

Anyway, very cool. Thanks for posting. BTW great looking winder.
      Last edited by Jim Darr; 01-13-2015, 01:07 AM.
      =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
        Is that an old Stanley router in the background?
        Yep, my mom picked it up at a second hand store for me. 1/4" collet. She probably paid less than $10 for it.

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
        Anyway, very cool. Thanks for posting. BTW great looking winder.
        Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X