Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloth tape for humbucker, any cheap alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth tape for humbucker, any cheap alternatives?

Hey Folks,

I wanted to ask if there is any cheap alternative for the cloth tape used to wrap Humbuckers? Reason I'm asking is that I took a pair of Ibanez V7-V8 pups and swapped the alnico magnet in the treble pup with the ceramic magnet in the neck pup. I've done this before an usually reuse the tape but the tape on one wasn't so reusable so I need to get replacement tape to finish this pup.

Thanks

Slo

Hey Slo,
    Lots of places sell that tape but to get a good price you'll probably need to get a wholesale account. I can send you a couple of strips if you don't need very much.
    Otherwise STEWMAC.COM - Pickup Coil Tape
    might be a reasonable price. It depends how poor you are.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Hey Slo,
      Lots of places sell that tape but to get a good price you'll probably need to get a wholesale account. I can send you a couple of strips if you don't need very much.
      Otherwise STEWMAC.COM - Pickup Coil Tape
      might be a reasonable price. It depends how poor you are.
      Hey David,

Thanks for the info and offer. I guess I was trying to find a substitute for the tape the pickup makers use. I did a magnet swap between 2 Ibanez pickups and I wound up reusing the old tape that was on them. I had to heat it up with a hand held hair dryer and got the glue soft again to use. I wasn't sure if anyone used Gaffers tape or something sort of like that. The cloth tape really looks good on the Humbuckers and the stuff I reused looked pretty good so it wasn't too bad. I wound up wax potting the pups to help seal up everything so its all good. Maybe one of these days I'll try the tape from Stew mac as it looks like it would work well.

Thanks

Slo

Comment

I know you found an answer, but I wanted to throw in there that I use surgical tape. It's very cheap (50 cents a roll) and works perfectly for the few places I use it. 3M Micropore 1/2" x 10 yd. White Surgical Tape - Box of 24 rolls:Amazon:Health & Personal Care

Comment

Originally posted by DialtonePickups View Post
          I know you found an answer, but I wanted to throw in there that I use surgical tape. It's very cheap (50 cents a roll) and works perfectly for the few places I use it. 3M Micropore 1/2" x 10 yd. White Surgical Tape - Box of 24 rolls:Amazon:Health & Personal Care
          Thanks for the info DT, I used to work at a hospital and used the surgical tape in network closets to label special data connections when we ran out of label tape. The problem we ran into using surgical tape was that it would stiffen up and fall apart over time. We would have to peel the remainder off the cables leaving a nasty residue. It just doesn't have the same holding properties that the special tape used on pickups seem to have. different glues that hold better.

I appreciate your post but surgical tape isn't so good over time. it sort of disintegrates in a bad way. gaffers tape might be better or hockey stick tape but I have never tried those.

Cheers

Slo

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
            Thanks for the info DT, I used to work at a hospital and used the surgical tape in network closets to label special data connections when we ran out of label tape. The problem we ran into using surgical tape was that it would stiffen up and fall apart over time. We would have to peel the remainder off the cables leaving a nasty residue. It just doesn't have the same holding properties that the special tape used on pickups seem to have. different glues that hold better.

I appreciate your post but surgical tape isn't so good over time. it sort of disintegrates in a bad way. gaffers tape might be better or hockey stick tape but I have never tried those.

Cheers

Slo
            Oh! I use the tape prior to potting, so it's covered in wax. It's been really great - the material/consistency is perfect for soaking in the wax, whereas some of the pickup tape we used prior to finding this didn't do as good of a job. I agree - it wouldn't be good without being soaked/potted. I misunderstood how you were using it.

Comment

If you make lots of humbuckers get a roll of the 3m #11 cloth tape.
              I use paper tape on the individual coils.
              Assemble the pickup and pot with the paper tape on.
              After wax potting, then put the #11 cloth tape on.
              It is much cleaner, and looks much nicer that way, IMO.
              If putting the pickup in a cover I don't use the cloth tape, at all, just the black paper tape on the bobbins
              T
              http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...2#.VLQQt1237tQ
              Last edited by big_teee; 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I use milliner's black fabric ribbon. Very cheap and does the job well. Available in different widths from shops that sell fabric. It can be cut down in width if needed, without fraying. I secure it with double-sided tape for the last inch.

There are different kinds - some silky, some matt with a more pronounced weave. That's the one I use.

Comment

Originally posted by DialtonePickups View Post
                  Oh! I use the tape prior to potting, so it's covered in wax. It's been really great - the material/consistency is perfect for soaking in the wax, whereas some of the pickup tape we used prior to finding this didn't do as good of a job. I agree - it wouldn't be good without being soaked/potted. I misunderstood how you were using it.
                  I never thought about the wax potting of it. That may help. I was just looking at the Mojo tape and darn that stuff is expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                    I use milliner's black fabric ribbon. Very cheap and does the job well. Available in different widths from shops that sell fabric. It can be cut down in width if needed, without fraying. I secure it with double-sided tape for the last inch.

There are different kinds - some silky, some matt with a more pronounced weave. That's the one I use.
                    Have you tried 3M adhesive on one side of the ribbon to make it like tape? just curious...

Comment

I had a full can of 3M spray adhesive and the valve stopped working so I didn't buy another - it's expensive here in the UK so that's what got me using double-sided tape. Spray adhesive ought to work well.

Comment

That's what is great about the 3M #11 tape.
                        It has a great adhesive on it.
                        It sticks, cold or hot, and doesn't come unraveled.
                        A large roll of it in .450" or .5" will last a long time.
                        I use the .450" for humbuckers and for Tele Bridge pickups.
                        I don't know about you guys, but I try to get a product that requires less labor.
                        I want the adhesive on the tape, I don't want, or need another thing to do.
                        Simplicity = Bliss.
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          That's what is great about the 3M #11 tape.
                          It has a great adhesive on it.
                          It sticks, cold or hot, and doesn't come unraveled.
                          A large roll of it in .450" or .5" will last a long time.
                          I use the .450" for humbuckers and for Tele Bridge pickups.
                          I don't know about you guys, but I try to get a product that requires less labor.
                          I want the adhesive on the tape, I don't want, or need another thing to do.
                          Simplicity = Bliss.
                          T
                          Terry,

I have to agree with you that sometimes its just better to get the right stuff for the job.

Comment

Agreed, it is better to get the right stuff, but if it's a one-off or an emergency, or if you live outside the US then sometimes it doesn't make economic sense, especially if you're faced with minimum order and/or S&H costs.

Comment

Actually, for what it is, the price isn't bad in my eyes. I use a variety of tapes, usually 3M. Any of the quality specialty tapes like fine line tape, double sided tape, and most widths of good painters tape run $20 a roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X