Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for a total newbie in the UK please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dougal. Expect to pay VAT and import duty on anything that comes from outside the EU, so that includes Mojo and Stewmacs, but Allparts UK also stocks Mojo pickup parts so give Andy a call. The rates from say Stewmac and people like Angela Instruments will add about 26% to your bill. Under £18 there is no duty so try and keep all your bits and bobs this side of the pond until you may become fully committed and then it's best and most economical to buy bulk and cut down the amount of times you have shipments. Good luck Bro.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      Hi Dougal. Expect to pay VAT and import duty on anything that comes from outside the EU, so that includes Mojo and Stewmacs, but Allparts UK also stocks Mojo pickup parts so give Andy a call. The rates from say Stewmac and people like Angela Instruments will add about 26% to your bill. Under £18 there is no duty so try and keep all your bits and bobs this side of the pond until you may become fully committed and then it's best and most economical to buy bulk and cut down the amount of times you have shipments. Good luck Bro.
      Thanks, very helpful.

Comment

I was wondering if, in your opinions, there is a good kind of pickup to start with?

I suppose I was thinking that I might start trying to wind a strat pickup or 2 from a kit. Or possibly a P-90. Strat because I feel like I know what I want a strat pickup to do, how I like them to sound, so I would know what I'm shooting for.

A P-90 because I need a new P90 for the bridge position of one of my guitars.

I guess how easy/difficult any sort of pickup is will also play a part in my decision. I've got some epi humbuckers I may use as test pickups too, for rewinding/magnet swaps/general tinkering.

Comment

A strat Pickup gets my vote.
          You can buy bobbins already put together, or you can build your own.
          The P90 is harder to wind, and you have to pay close attention to tension, guide stop settings, to prevent flaring.
          I would follow the StewMac instructions for both.
          Others please jump in on this!
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 01-07-2015, 12:16 AM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

This one is from UK, but you can only get kits.
            Guitar Pickup Kits & Parts - Build Your Own Guitar Pickup Kit
            https://www.facebook.com/FatChanceGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by Jure View Post
              This one is from UK, but you can only get kits.
              Guitar Pickup Kits & Parts - Build Your Own Guitar Pickup Kit
              I found them the other day and e-mailed them. They're not going to be selling kits when the current stock they have is sold. So I'll buy what I can from them and then buy the other parts bit by bit going forward.

Comment

Working...
              X