Faceplate makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faceplate makers?

Hi guys. I am nearing the end of my arduino based winder build but I am running into a problem. I cannot make a faceplate that runs true myself. I tried having a disk, laser cut, with all the appropriate holes for mounting different size bobbins. The hole alignments came out great but the problem is with the edges of the disk not being true and also the thickness of the material has a lot of variation to it so the face is not flat enough. The reason the edges aren't true is because the laser is shaped like a cone and doesn't cut straight. So you end up with edges that are at different angles and it throws off the balance quite a bit because some areas have more material than others. Other than those two things it would have worked great.

So now I decided I'm going to have to find someone with a lathe or other tools that can do the job but I don't know where to look. I could really use a lead on someone or someplace that could make it for me at a reasonable price. It's basically a flat disk with 4 holes for attaching to a coupler that will fit a 5mm stepper motor shaft and then 3 sets of holes for mounting humbucker bobbin sizes (49.2,50, 52).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by larams View Post
    Hi guys. I am nearing the end of my arduino based winder build but I am running into a problem. I cannot make a faceplate that runs true myself. I tried having a disk, laser cut, with all the appropriate holes for mounting different size bobbins. The hole alignments came out great but the problem is with the edges of the disk not being true and also the thickness of the material has a lot of variation to it so the face is not flat enough. The reason the edges aren't true is because the laser is shaped like a cone and doesn't cut straight. So you end up with edges that are at different angles and it throws off the balance quite a bit because some areas have more material than others. Other than those two things it would have worked great.

So now I decided I'm going to have to find someone with a lathe or other tools that can do the job but I don't know where to look. I could really use a lead on someone or someplace that could make it for me at a reasonable price. It's basically a flat disk with 4 holes for attaching to a coupler that will fit a 5mm stepper motor shaft and then 3 sets of holes for mounting humbucker bobbin sizes (49.2,50, 52).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You could make a faceplate out of, say 3/8", Delrin and use a 3" hole cutter in a drill press. The Delrin will probably give you a pretty true surface. Polishing the perimeter would be an easy task. You can also get brass shim material at most hobby shops down to 1 thou if you need to true up the faceplate perpendicular to the rotary drive shaft. It could cost you a fair bit to have a plate machined out of aluminum and it was actually a machinist that suggested Delrin. Just a couple of thoughts based on things I ran into making my winder faceplates.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

The only real alternative to a lathe is to buy a gear or gear blank, and re-purpose it.

One problem is that 5mm is pretty small, so it may be difficult to find gears with sufficiently large outer diameters. The problem is that a 5mm shaft bends too easily for a large-diameter gear to be practical. For a pickup winder, the forces are lower, but still...

Bruce Johnson on this forum will make faceplates on order.

Comment

+1 Bruce Johnson.
        His contact info is listed on his website.
        Tell him you are a forum member.
        Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Company Home Page
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Yoouuu Raaang? (In the voice of Lurch from the Addams Family)

Yep, I'm still here, and I still have my machine shop. I can machine up a face plate or hub for you, to whatever dimensions you want. I've made a few for other winders here on this forum. It's usually easiest to make them one piece aluminum. I can put patterns of threaded holes on the face if you want them. The cost will be $30-$75 depending on the size and complexity.

You can reach me directly at brucejohnson@xstrange.com

Comment

Thanks everybody for the ideas.

Mr. Johnson I'll be sending you an email shortly with some dimensions and see what you think. Thanks a lot I really appreciate this.

Comment

I realize it adds to the complexity but I'm very happy with the faceplates I made that have the bobbin shape milled out of the surface to the depth of the flatwork thickness. The result is a flush winding surface and the faceplate actually grips the bobbin with a friction fit. You can easily mill 3 different bobbin shapes at 60º intervals on a single faceplate. The bobbins just snap in and out with no tape or screws, magnets or tailstock. It's quick, secure and eliminates any possibility of the wire getting hung up on the inner edge of the bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                I realize it adds to the complexity but I'm very happy with the faceplates I made that have the bobbin shape milled out of the surface to the depth of the flatwork thickness. The result is a flush winding surface and the faceplate actually grips the bobbin with a friction fit. You can easily mill 3 different bobbin shapes at 60º intervals on a single faceplate. The bobbins just snap in and out with no tape or screws, magnets or tailstock. It's quick, secure and eliminates any possibility of the wire getting hung up on the inner edge of the bobbin.
                Thanks for that David. I always thought I was quick off the mark but hadn't thought of the lipping over bit. I have lasered plates that go either side of all my different bobbins so they are kept flat with no chance of flaring but had never thought of machining them in to get rid of the rare "but it does happen" when the wire goes behind the edge. Give me something to get my teeth into next week. Ta.

Comment

Funny, I just checked Bruce Johnson's website out and read that he is in Fillmore. I'm just 20 minutes down the road in Ventura. Small world.

Comment

Funny, I just checked Bruce Johnson's website out and read that he is in Fillmore. I'm just 20 minutes down the road in Ventura. Small world.
                    That makes it easy. You can pick up your face plate in person, here at the Secret Underground Scroll Bass Laboratory.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                      I agree. On my own winding machine, I've made up aluminum disks for each bobbin size that I use, which have recesses to fit the bobbin flanges. The disks are also flared a bit around the perimeter, and are polished. A disk goes on each side of the bobbin, turning the assembly into a round, smooth pulley. No chance of snags or loops. It also allows me to wind real tightly and precisely into the corners. The stack is held together with one or two machine screws that thread into the face plate.

Comment

I wish I could pick it up in person. Unfortunately the DMV cracked down on me last year and took my license. My eyes have diminished to the point I can't pass the eye test even with corrective lenses. It's been tough getting around ever since. I sold my truck just a couple months ago to a kid near by. He scored an 08' f150 with only 8k miles on it. The truck had been sitting in my garage for a few years collecting dust. Good kid though. He drops by every now and then to see how things are going.

Anyways, I really like the way you guys made your baseplates with the recessed area for the bobbins. I hadn't thought of doing anything like that. I think that's what I should do to if possible.

Comment

Everything alright Mr. Johnson? I haven't heard anything back from you. Hopefully your just busy. Let me know when you get some time.

Thanks

Comment

Everything alright Mr. Johnson? I haven't heard anything back from you. Hopefully your just busy. Let me know when you get some time.

Thanks
                            Did you send him an email?
                            He doesn't check in often here.
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Did you send him an email?
                              He doesn't check in often here.
                              Yes, I'm fine. I think. What day is it?

I hope you understand that we are now at N-7; that is, 7 days until the NAMM show. As usual, I'm in a mad scramble finishing up several instruments that are supposed to make their debut at the show.... It's always like this in late December through early January.

Comment

Working...
                              X