Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to digitally recreate that dragging speed sound effect of a tape player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to digitally recreate that dragging speed sound effect of a tape player?

I'm just playing an audio cassette on an old player and the melody sounds kind of "unforgettable", like movie music. It might be the transport rubber, which has gotten a bit tired or something else? Yet, the more important thing is that it sounds so emotionally enhanced and interesting.
    How to recreate this "romantic movie sound effect" digitally? Here's a short sample of this type of it:

Sound 4.mp3

Not sure what you have available or what recording software you use (if any), but you would be looking for some sort of pitch modulation effect.

Edit: Just found this also. It looks like there is a plugin for this very thing. Scroll down the page to "WOW AND FLUTTER"

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-01-2015, 11:53 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I would call it wow & flutter if it is a 'wobbly' sound.
      Here is an FX pedal to do just that: SNAZZY FX

The tape drag is usually a 100hz intermodulation of the signal.

ref:Celemony Capstan

If you have ever used Audacity to record, there is a visual plot of the recorded signal.
      Comparing the tape & cd recordings may give you a better clue as to what the tape drag effect may be.

Comment

A few things affect the sound of an old cassette tape;

1. The bandwidth is limited by the dynamic properties of the tape, the fidelity of electronics in low-end players and the generally mediocre speakers.

2. Many cassette transport mechanisms have inherently poor mechanical speed regulation.

3. Rubber rollers develop flat spots and go out of shape, belts stretch unevenly when they start to harden, and grease in bearings thickens as it ages. All of this contributes to pitch variation.

So, pitch modulation and bandwidth limitation are things to look at.

Comment

Working...
        X