Type 4 vs. Type 9 Accutronics Reverb Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type 4 vs. Type 9 Accutronics Reverb Tanks

Time to replace my tank because spring --> inductor connector broke off on both ends of a single spring.

The Type 4 is the two spring "Fender" model and the Type 9 is the three spring "Marshall" model. Accutronics describes the Type 9 as full bandwidth suitable for PA and keyboards and the Type 4 as the classic Hammond design.

My question is this: which do you prefer for guitar?

SHould I order the flounder or the sole?

They are both equivalent reverbs. The three spring model has a somewhat more complex reverb sound. Which one sounds best to you? Which I prefer doesn't matter. I like the 9, but the 4 sounds fine to me too. I would not remove a 4 to put a 9 in, but if I had no pan, I'd order a 9. But that is my taste. There is a few dollar price difference, but not enough to worry with.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sole v. Flounder? LOL My first confused thought was that sole and flounder are not at all the same. By that logic the mighty halibut is the same as the sometimes tiny full grown sole and medium flounder because they are all flatfish and share the same family classification? The best way to make the sole or flounder design is to eat the fish least close to extinction.

But I digress...

So in terms of durability there is no discernible penalty of having three springs crammed into the same space as two (my assumption because the chassis dimensions are the same).

Also, when you lose a spring channel on either type reverb, is there a problem with just running it until it dies completely, assuming it sounds ok?

PS It's getting close to fall Sparty madness. I'm a Wolverine and they have just been so disappointing for the last decade: all the talent and no titles. I'm sick of run, run, run, punt? I forgot that we "modernized" our offense it's now run, run, pass, punt.

Comment

What I meant was that it is a matter of taste. Both are perfectly reasonable things to order.

Both pans are equally reliable, no cramming, plenty of room either way.

You can run the single spring remnant, won't hurt anything, but likely sound like a screen door spring.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I, as always, am very grateful to yourself and the forum at large for taking the time to pass on knowledge gained from experience and insight.
          Last edited by tommy d; 08-17-2007, 01:32 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Update

Bought the type 9 and it sounds great. Can't say that I really have a preference between 4 & 9 (they both sound great to me) but I will note that the type 9 sounds like there are more "reflections" in the 9 than in the 4. Overall, the description by Accutronics that the 9 is more "complex" is accurate and I will replace failing 4's with 9's but not a working 4: concurring with Enzo's rec

Comment

V50 Palomino Reverb

In a related vein...

I just got a scratch and dent Crate V50 Palomino 2x12 combo, that arrived with a broken reverb. I wish to put in an accutronics, either type 4 or 9. Anybody know which input and output impedances I'm looking for? Maybe I can probe the coil, but with the leads snapped off it'll be tough.

Comment

I would email Accutronics and ask! Very nice group of people, they know all this stuff...but if they need a hint pull the broken one and make a note of the manufacturer and the numbers.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

Schematic for V50 is here:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/.../crate_v50.pdf

I couldn't find the reverb on the schematic.

BTW are you sure it is broken? Swap out the RCA cables and check the resistance if it is open, then one of the little wires on the inside is broken. See BillM http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/fixreverb.htm for a common problem with newer reverb.

Good luck,

Tom

Comment

Yes, it's broken.

The amp came with the wires snapped off the coil on one side (don't recall if it was the in or out). I soldered them back on, but the repair failed when I laid the amp face down to work on it. There isn't enough to work with to make a solid connection. I may be able to get it together again, or at least get in there with probes to measure the resistance.

Incidentally, my amp is the palomino 2x12 model, which has a pair of EL34's, instead of the 6L6's as in the black ones. The pc board also has locations for two more output tube sockets. If a guy could get 4 6L6's in there, that would be like a Twin. The V33 uses 4 EL84's, and maybe shares this board. Strange, as the amps have quite different setups as far as the channels go.

I digress...

Comment

uh...tank is definately broken!

4 6L6 would cause you to change your speaker load to impedance match as well probably lower the B+ so you don't kill the 6L6 - it could be done with a little more tweaking...

Comment

Not gonna do it...Wouldn't be prudent.

I'm happy with the two EL34's.

I had a chat with the crate service folks. I got the specs for the reverb, which will enable me to determine which one I want from Accutronics. I'm planning on the type 9.

Comment

Isn't there a part number stamped on your broken reverb? Something like 4EB2C1B? That is the reverb type.

Comment

tommy

Look on the V50 schematic - page 3, lower left corner. There is the reverb.

Comment

Upside down?

If the nomenclature is of the same system, the pan that's in there is upside down. It's marked 2BB2C1A, which, going by the accutronics chart, should be open-side up.

If I want a type 9 mounted on the bottom, I guess it should be a 9BB2C1B.

Comment

fixed again

I did successfully resolder the broken wires to the coil.

Nobody moves-nobody dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X