Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Modern Gibson Factory P/UP Winding Machine's Despooler and Tensioning System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a pretty good insight and something I for one had never thought of. I really would like to get a tension meter at some point but the ones I have seen are way outside my budget; I have been tinkering around with the idea of modifying a far more commonly found gram meter to be able to work in reverse so to speak. That I suppose is a problem/project for another day; for right now I'm getting along fairly alright measuring tension by the very scientific process of guesstimation.....
    "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...."

Comment

As an addendum to this thread, I got 7500 turns onto a PAF sized humbucker bobbin earlier tonight! I know this is just nuts overwound but I was so excited as the numbers added up without any wire breakage that I couldn't stop As I said earlier in this thread, the wire I used is 42 AWG single nylon (poly) coated. Thanks again everyone for your help!
      "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...."

Comment

Originally posted by capehead View Post
        That's a pretty good insight and something I for one had never thought of. I really would like to get a tension meter at some point but the ones I have seen are way outside my budget; I have been tinkering around with the idea of modifying a far more commonly found gram meter to be able to work in reverse so to speak. That I suppose is a problem/project for another day; for right now I'm getting along fairly alright measuring tension by the very scientific process of guesstimation.....
        This is the type of tension gauge that you want:
        Mecmesin Tension Gauge | eBay
        This is a 0-50gm gauge for $10. Look for one with a range of 0-30 gm or 0-50gm. For most pickup winding, you'll workingin the range of 15-25gm of tension.

Here's a nicer 0-30gm one for $30:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Somfy-Tec-Te...item5b0a044b38

I have several of these gauges that I've bought on ebay over the years for $10-$20. The one I use most is a Scherr 0-30gm. I use it to set my friction rig at 25gm and check it now and then.
        Last edited by Bruce Johnson; 01-16-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X