My unfinished projects !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My unfinished projects !

Seems I get so for then need some parts I dont have! I just have a lot of junk LOL anyway here is a glimpse of amps in various stages of completion. I hope you guys can help out when the time comes Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	869185
    http://www.redicecreations.com/radio...RIR-150114.php

I have been saying this for a while... but this is the year that I will work on mine! I have a Crate Blue Voodoo (BV120) that will be a donor for a test jig. I will use the power supply, tube sockets, etc and have a means of testing preamp and output tubes under load. I think I'll disconnect the existing output stage and maybe convert that to a single socket -single tube. If the voltages are right, I was thinking of using a smaller output transformer, something like a 15 watt and rigging up a class A. I want to test one tube at a time... under some type of load.

This site has plenty of threads about Tube Checkers serving as a quick and dirty, go / no-go check. The best way to test a tube is in a circuit. And that is the project I want to build... a test jig that will measure two sides of a 12ax7, 12au7, output tubes, etc. So I am thinking I will have a proto board of some type where I can swap out different tubes. Of course, proper voltages and other circuitry are a must...

Just a nutty idea....
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Looks like my room... 16 amps in various condition, from fully functional to chassis-trannies-sockets. Everything else got tossed! But I only work on one at a time, so this former-Thor gets done with dehumming first. Then gain control...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

That's a very tidy bench compared to my world.

My list of unfinished projects include an Orange Bass Terror pre amp in a vintage radio case, various pieces of test equipment. One thing I did finish just the other day was a valve tester. It's a Sussex valve tester (similar to an Avo CT160) based on the design at vintage-radio.net and whilst I don't think I will use it as much as I originally thought the process of building it was really interesting and I learnt a lot.

Comment

Just curious (always learning ) , can you post the Terror Bass schematic ?
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'd really like to see some other amp caves. If you have a pic please share
            http://www.redicecreations.com/radio...RIR-150114.php

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Just curious (always learning ) , can you post the Terror Bass schematic ?
              See Orange Bass Terror

Comment

Thanks a lot
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ok... I will call this one DONE - the 4 in 1 bias box. This box uses 4 probes that measure Plate Voltage and Cathode Current.

In reading other MEF posts (and thanks again mates), the message I got was "reading Cathode current alone doesn't tell the entire story... you need to read the plate voltages too." So why buy a kit where you can only read Cathode current or the more expensive kits where you can read the plate voltage on just one of four tubes? That is where the Bias Scout is handy. It will give you both.

Using the TubeDepot Bias Scout Kit (4 of them), I ran the ends into a project box, added a Rotary switch (you need a 4 position, double pole, Break Before Make) all going into a SPDT with Center Off, and that goes to a set of banana leads.

The assembly off the tube sockets can be tricky. You need to take your time. I found other ways to stuff the resistors in the socket and relieve stress on the resistor leads. Anyway... about $100 later, I have my kit ready for use.

One flip of the switch and you measure the Plate Voltage. The other side measures Cathode Current. Follow the directions on the probe kit for that assembly. Beyond that, it's easy to connect the rotary switch and SPDT. One side selects the Current reading, the other side selects the Voltage reading.

If you cannot find a 4 position rotary switch, you can buy a 6 position and leave 2 slots unused.

Take your time, fun project, very useful tool. This comes in handy of you want to check the tube bias and not remove the entire chassis from the cabinet. You can probably find a YouTube video where a guy builds something similar.

Good luck!!
                  Attached Files
                  It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Oh man, story of my life!!!!! I cant say no to a bargain on a tube project :-P

Comment

amp cave of southbound suarez aka dugdiamond

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0815.jpg
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	838203Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0814.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	838204
                      Originally posted by swingarm View Post
                      I'd really like to see some other amp caves. If you have a pic please share
                      This is just the part of my messy amplifier strewn home that I am not too afraid of showing. Otherwise I am afraid that someone will put an intervention out on me and next thing ya know that TV show hoarders will be knocking on the door!
                      Phineus J. Whoopy, you are the greatest! May just get one more peek at that three dimensional blackboard please?

Comment

"I feel your pain..."
                        My furniture consists of a bed, dresser, and uncountable vintage amps, chassis, parts, and amp-related detritus... I think I counted 16, in various states from complete & working to "stripped for later." 5 are for sale,so that might help...

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                          "I feel your pain..."
                          My furniture consists of a bed, dresser, and uncountable vintage amps, chassis, parts, and amp-related detritus... I think I counted 16, in various states from complete & working to "stripped for later." 5 are for sale,so that might help...

Justin
                          Sixteen seems to be a magic number...... Every weekend it seems we cant pass below that threshold!
                          Sixteen working amps yet none of them fully enclosed or quite road worthy. All projects!
                          Honestly last week it was eighteen, we actually got one one the road and another into the pawnshop to make for some up front money to complete a build for a top notch customer that has wayyy too much faith in me! But that is another story as now I have three more projects and now stand at sixteen again as I wrenched two more out the door..... someone double check my math..... Did an all nighter on a deluxe reverb and am fighting my diabetic blood sugar here today at the shop!
                          Attached Files
                          Phineus J. Whoopy, you are the greatest! May just get one more peek at that three dimensional blackboard please?

Comment

Working...
                          X