Thanks, guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, guys!

Someone on this board posted years ago about a bad run of caps made by some manufacturer, and used by quite a few manufacturers in computers and consumer electronics.

Since then, I've managed to fix several computers by just replacing any swelled caps. I don't know much at all about solid-state electronics, preferring to tinker on my old tube amps.
    My latest victory is a 42 inch flat-screen HDTV. It wouldn't power up any more, and was given to me.
    "I know you like to tinker, so here's a TV that doesn't work. If you fix it, it's all yours. Otherwise, heave it in the dumpster!"
    I found 4 swelled caps in the power supply. I replaced every cap in that section, swelled or not. Cost me somewhere around 2 dollars. The TV powered up, and is much nicer (and bigger) than my old TV.
    So, thanks, gents, for the incredible resource of knowledge this board provides!

Yeah, the whole bad cap thing really blows.
    Countless millions of dollars lost by manufacturers, upset consumers, reputations tarnished.
    And all because of some ying yang thief that stole the electrolyte formula.
    Unfortunately, they didn't get the part about 'absorbing hydrogen gas' right.

Comment

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark

Comment

I thought it was a corrosion inhibitor which stopped the vents from being blocked up?

I'll read the wiki, maybe they stopped begging for donations...

Comment

could just be a bit of planned obsolescence and cost cutting by choosing a non-long life cap in taxing locations instead of one of the "(incorrect) stolen formula caps". I kind of suspect many manfs. don't use the most appropriate (higher temp, long life ones) in places like power supplies on purpose (maybe it's also the consumer not wanting to pay also).

Comment

My Sister was throwing out a three-year old LCD TV and didn't want it repaired. I suspected the SMPS as it kept cycling about every second - the power led flashing in time. Just two caps were bulged on the secondary side. 470uf 4.7v rating. The supply is 5v!

25v low ESR versions easily fitted in the space. Total cost £0.34 - about 50 cents and 20 minutes. Insanity. That's now been our main TV for two years.

How many items of equipment are thrown out because of a part costing pennies? Manufacturers need to take real responsibility for the waste they create, instead of the smoke-and-mirrors sham of PR environmental credentials that hide their true intent.

Comment

Working...
            X