Anyone else going to NAMM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else going to NAMM?

I'm surprised there's not already a thread on this but I didn't see one anywhere. Is anyone else going to NAMM? We have a booth in hall E. Here's my little testing out the banner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1409.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	869200

No one? This is our second time going - first was over the summer at Nashville NAMM. That one was reasonably priced, but this trip is unexpectedly costing us a small fortune, and we have no idea whether it'll be worth it. If no one else/not many here are going, maybe that partially answers our question. :/

Comment

Originally posted by DialtonePickups View Post
      No one? This is our second time going - first was over the summer at Nashville NAMM. That one was reasonably priced, but this trip is unexpectedly costing us a small fortune, and we have no idea whether it'll be worth it. If no one else/not many here are going, maybe that partially answers our question. :/
      I'm just a Retired Hobby winder!
      Winding in a broom Closet.
      No reason for me to go.
      I figure the big guns here will be there.
      Lollar, wolftone, Bruce Johnson and others.
      T
      **edit
      Mojotone will be there. Probably WD, and Allparts.
      That is where a lot of us buy parts.
      Check them all out.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I got a couple flashbacks everyday so I go to Nam on a pretty regular basis...

Oh you meant the other quagmire!

Comment

This is precisely why I don't go - too much money!

Have a great show!

cheers,
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Congratulations and wish you the best.

I and probably others might be wondering about expenses, care to post something ?, very simplified of course.

Say ... " x' by y' booth/space around --- $$$ , furnishing so much, typical hotel room, eating expenses, etc."

Might help anybody wondering where it's worth going or not.

Thanks in advance
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Congratulations and wish you the best.

I and probably others might be wondering about expenses, care to post something ?, very simplified of course.

Say ... " x' by y' booth/space around --- $$$ , furnishing so much, typical hotel room, eating expenses, etc."

Might help anybody wondering where it's worth going or not.

Thanks in advance
              When I showed in 2006 it was $2000 for 10' x10'. Add to that that you have to ship everything to LA (unless you drive), must use union electricians/contractors to build your set (if you have one). The costs add up quickly.

cheers,
              Jack Briggs

sigpic
              www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Typical of any 'Trade Show".
                I wouldn't dis NAMM in particular.

Comment

NAMM is actually John and my first experience with exhibiting at tradeshows altogether. I hear it's about average compared to other tradeshows. I've got to say, our NAMM rep, Harrison, is awesome. And, NAMM seems to do some pretty honorable work within the community.

I don't remember exact prices on everything, but here's an estimate:

10'x10' booth: $2750
                  Electricity: $250
                  Hotel for a week: $1,000
                  One plane ticket: $600
                  Estimated misc. travel: $1,000
                  Car rental: $500
                  Banners, booth supplies: $500

I'm driving from San Francisco with all of our stuff, and have to rent an SUV to fit it all - another $500. So total, around $7,000, plus another $1,000 I figure for all of the little costs that add up.

I have no idea how much they will charge to unload our bigger items. I hear it's a lot. You are allowed to carry something in yourself if one person can do it in one trip, no mechanical devices are used, and you can set the booth up in an hour. I might be able to do everything but our huge amp myself. We were also able to save money by bringing our own floor covering, tables, etc. The pricing on those sorts of things are otherwise pretty steep.

Comment

Thanks a lot

It sure puts things in perspective, it is an important effort for a small scale maker and don't think expenses can be recovered directly.

I see it as working for us in an indirect way: it can be mentioned on ads and brochures, raise perceived quality, etc.

Brushing shoulders and getting some pics with the Royalty can also help with later local customers.

Actually selling enough there to recover expenses and even earn something extra looks iffy to me, anyway I see the main benefit as those mentioned above.

Very good luck there and thanks again
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

NAMM is actually John and my first experience with exhibiting at tradeshows altogether. I hear it's about average compared to other tradeshows. I've got to say, our NAMM rep, Harrison, is awesome. And, NAMM seems to do some pretty honorable work within the community.

I don't remember exact prices on everything, but here's an estimate:

10'x10' booth: $2750
                      Electricity: $250
                      Hotel for a week: $1,000
                      One plane ticket: $600
                      Estimated misc. travel: $1,000
                      Car rental: $500
                      Banners, booth supplies: $500

I'm driving from San Francisco with all of our stuff, and have to rent an SUV to fit it all - another $500. So total, around $7,000, plus another $1,000 I figure for all of the little costs that add up.

I have no idea how much they will charge to unload our bigger items. I hear it's a lot. You are allowed to carry something in yourself if one person can do it in one trip, no mechanical devices are used, and you can set the booth up in an hour. I might be able to do everything but our huge amp myself. We were also able to save money by bringing our own floor covering, tables, etc. The pricing on those sorts of things are otherwise pretty steep.
                      Sweet Jebus!!! I had no idea!

I overheard a conversation at the GAL convention last July between an notable luthier and a friend, lamenting the necessary pain of attending NAMM. I thought they were just talking about the general hassle of hauling everything to LA and setting up and standing around smiling and nodding all day while people muck with your product and walking away with uncertain success and/or networking ties... but that's just the fun part. Then you get to pay off the credit card for the next 15 months. Good luck!

Comment

I've been going to NAMM since 2004. We leave on Sunday. There for nine days. Will have to stop by and say hello.

Comment

I was chatting with Steve Daniels from Small Bear Electronics. He's going, so I asked him to say hi to you. Whether you two run into each other is a whole other thing.

Comment

I may be there for one day. I'm not sure yet. I never have a booth there, because I only sell my basses directly to the public. I don't use dealers, and I'm not interested in selling to dealers. Remember, NAMM isn't open to the public. It's a trade show for manufacturers to sell to dealers, that is, music stores.

However, a big part of my business is building components for other Luthiers, and several of them will have booths there. Many of my necks will be in instruments on display. Also, this year I'm trying out a joint venture with another Luthier, who sells very expensive artistic instruments. Two of my Scroll Basses will be there, modified and decorated in his unique style. I'm scrambling to finish them up right now. If the deal works out, I'll be regularly supplying him with my partially-completed basses. So, I may hang around his booth for a day to answer questions about them. Or not.

I used to go NAMM every year, back in the 1990's. It's fun to see a few times, and then you get tired of it. Now that I'm up in Fillmore, it's about a 3 hour drive in the worst direction across greater Los Angeles. These days, I dislike those long city drives enough that few things are worth the pain. Besides, I'm overwhelmed with backlogged work anyway. So, I probably won't go.

Yep, it's expensive. Figure $10K for your own booth; $5K if you share a booth with someone else. Very strict rules; no cheating. It's only worth your while if you are trying to sell a lot of product to dealers.

If you've never been to the Anaheim NAMM show, you'll be amazed at how big it is. Last I know, it is still the largest trade show of any type in the US. It's huge. It's sobering to see how big the musical instrument business is.

Comment

I'll be going. Even though it will be crowded I still enjoy going and talking to the exhibitors.

LowNote

Comment

Working...
                              X