Modern Firebird PU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Firebird PU.

Just in case you were curious...just pulled a neck and bridge out of a 2013 FB. 26k and 16k.

Anyone have a good recipe for firebirds....something a little different.

I was thinking of actually doing them like a mini with an A2 bar mag and blades in both coils.

Think I can squeeze 5500 turns on a coil?

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
    Just in case you were curious...just pulled a neck and bridge out of a 2013 FB. 26k and 16k.

Anyone have a good recipe for firebirds....something a little different.

I was thinking of actually doing them like a mini with an A2 bar mag and blades in both coils.

Think I can squeeze 5500 turns on a coil?
    I have only done Deluxe minis, but from my point of view you won't get too far with a single bar mag and the blade slugs. Reason is that the slug side of a Dlx mini is way below that screw side in terms of the magnetic field to the strings - even lower than a std. HB. While the FB pups are sometimes a little too "strident" because of twin magnets in the cores of the coils, the only way in my mind to tame them slightly is to degauss the magnets some.

You could squeeze 5500T of 43 or 44, but not 42 gauge on those little bobbins. I've gotten 5600T of 43 SPE, but with 42 the bobbin's pretty packed at 5000T. Any sort of scatter or pitch increase will cause that capacity to drop pretty quickly. I wound a "hot" set for a Canadian client recently with the bridge at about 11.4K (11,100 total turns of 43SPE). Didn't sound bad with an A8 charged pretty high (800-1000G). YMMV.

Best of luck!

cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I've got some A5 FB mags, maybe I'll just use those and see what happens.

I have a little 43, but maybe not enough to do 2 pickups.

Of all the current Gibson stock pickups, the firebirds have to be the most disappointing.

Comment

I thought The new firebird pickups sounded pretty good from a brief session on a 70's tribute les paul.
        they are suppose have 2 slugs in the coils & a large humbucker magnet in under the coils which are more like a minihumbucker in design but use the firebird cover .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

the pickups in the tributes are ok, they sound more like the old les paul deluxe pickups, but nothing like an original FB pup.

a true FB pup has magnets inside the bobbins and not underneath, which brings them closer to a single coil sound

the modern FB pickups made by Gibson (used in their firebird guitars) are bland to say the least

Comment

I'm not sure what they're putting in the tributes, but I have a couple current deluxe mini buckers and they're pretty nice.

a2 mags, bar slug, poly wire, 6.3k....great neck pickup.

Comment

Would anybody know if anyone is manufacturing Firebird covers that will fit a Gibson Firebird.
              All of the ones I've seen are about 3/16" too long to fit in the Gibson rings.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                Would anybody know if anyone is manufacturing Firebird covers that will fit a Gibson Firebird.
                All of the ones I've seen are about 3/16" too long to fit in the Gibson rings.
                Thanks
                The mojo ones fit.

Comment

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
                  The mojo ones fit.
                  Thanks for the reply.
                  Are you positive the Mojo covers fit in a Gibson pickup ring?
                  All of the measurements I've seen say they're too long.
                  Do you have any first hand knowledge that they'll fit properly?

Thanks again!

Comment

The early Gibson mini's & firebird pickups were shorter .I didn't think modern FB or mini's were any different than the covers that we can find now .
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

So the Lollars and Duncans won't fit an older Gibson? That seems pretty odd but maybe it's a tiny market than no one bothers with.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        So the Lollars and Duncans won't fit an older Gibson? That seems pretty odd but maybe it's a tiny market than no one bothers with.
                        Not sure about Lollar but I'd imagine Jason does it right.
                        Duncans are shorter than the Mojo covers by about 3/16" and fit the Gibson rings fine. The Mojo covers are too long to fit in a Firebird ring which is a real drag.

Thats been my experience with Mojo covers. If anybody has any hands on information or experience with some covers that fit Gibson Firebird rings I'd certainly appreciate the input.
                        Thanks

Comment

I use nickel silver covers which are 65.5 mm x 25mm and have fitted them to Gibson firebirds.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                            Thanks for the reply.
                            Are you positive the Mojo covers fit in a Gibson pickup ring?
                            All of the measurements I've seen say they're too long.
                            Do you have any first hand knowledge that they'll fit properly?

Thanks again!
                            Here's a FB mini I wound today and factory FB mounting ring...bottom pic is mini bucker cover in the same ring.

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                              I use nickel silver covers which are 65.5 mm x 25mm and have fitted them to Gibson firebirds.
                              I just measured the Mojo covers that I have and they all measure ~67.8mm which makes them too long.

Do you have any idea of when you bought them from Mojo?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X