Modern Firebird PU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
    Here's a FB mini I wound today and factory FB mounting ring...bottom pic is mini bucker cover in the same ring.
    Would you happen to know what year Gibson the pickup ring is from?
    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
      Would you happen to know what year Gibson the pickup ring is from?
      Thank you.

I think they're all the same from 91 to current.

Comment

I think they're all the same from 91 to current.
        Thanks very much for the reply 12xu

If you have a Mojo Firebird cover and a dial or vernier caliper available could you please measure the length of the Mojo cover?
        I have Mojo covers from a couple of years ago and from last July which all measure ~67.8mm long.
        Thanks

Comment

67.74 using my calipers....that's the top of the cover.

Factory mini I have here is 67.8

Are you sure you have a gibson ring?

Comment

The plot thickens...

Comment

67.74 using my calipers....that's the top of the cover.

Factory mini I have here is 67.8

Are you sure you have a gibson ring?
              The only rings I have are the plastic rings from Mojo which fit the Mojo covers perfectly.
              What worries me is that these covers are the exact same size as Mojo covers ( 2.675” x 1.1")
              The disclaimer says that they're too long to fit vintage Firebird/Mini HB.

I dont want to build a set, ship them out and find out that they dont fit the Gibson rings.

It seems the seller also offers the correct size rings for Gibson but states his covers (same size as Mojo covers) are too long to fit his rings as quoted in the disclaimer.

"Please note:
              Our mini-humbucker pickup covers are slight longer then vintage mini or firebird pickup covers. Vintage pickup covers measure approximately 2.587” x 1.1”. These covers are about 2.675” x 1.1”. That make these cover about 3/32” longer than vintage and will not fit the original deluxe pickup rings. Please check your measurements before ordering these as replacement pickups covers"

This leaves me a bit confused to say the least.

Thanks again.

Comment

Are you taking about deluxe rings or firebird rings?

The newer stuff is all the same size.

Comment

Firebird!
                  Duncan covers are smaller than Mojo.
                  This is confusing.

Comment

Lollar Firebird covers

Ok, I just found this on Jason Lollars blog from 2012 and I'm more confused than before.

Mini HB and Firebird
                    "our sizes are bit larger than the vintage specs. Our pickups covers for Mini-Humbuckers and Firebirds are slightly longer than vintage mini or firebird pickup covers. Vintage covers are 2.587” X 1.87” which translates to 2-19/32” X 1-3/32”. New covers are 2.687” X 1.87” which translates to fractions as 2-11/16” X 1-3/32”. New covers are 3/32” longer than vintage pickups but they will still fit in a vintage route with a new size ring mounts you can order from us."

Anybody have any experience with vintage covers vs modern cover sizes?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                      I just measured the Mojo covers that I have and they all measure ~67.8mm which makes them too long.

Do you have any idea of when you bought them from Mojo?
                      Thanks
                      I don't buy anything from mojo, they are too expensive. I source mine through a contact I have in korea

Comment

Jason usually has his parts made exclusively for him and he seems to be a stickler for accuracy. The dimensions quoted from his blog have a transcription error in the width decimal dimensions, 1-3/32 is 1.093" and not 1.87". He must have meant 1.087".

Mr Fab, any chance you would be willing to share the Korean source?

Comment

Took some readings from a buddy's 2013 70's tribute les paul gt with mini humbuckers they are made with 2 steel slugs (no pole screws,so I've heard)
                          bridge was 6.8k ,neck was 6.1k
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                          X