No announcement yet.

Soundcraft TS12 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff to think about. I'm not fully aware of the client's gain structure or habits, but he is old school and has been in the bizz a lot longer than me, and I am on 20 years now in one respect or another. Everything he has said to me so far would indicate he practices good gain structure.

The console has 20 dB pad on each preamp, but all very good points to keep in mind. I like your idea of external transformer box, and now I don't have to worry about transformer dimensions. I guess there is no audio benefit to installing the transformer internally to replace the phantom blocking caps, provided they are doing the job. I think some transformers in a case is a good tool to add to the toolbox, especially as you say, for dynamic mics. The Lundahl can be wired for 1:2.5 or 1:5 so you could adjust for available headroom. I would think it's better to reduce input signal at the transformer rather than pad down a hot signal. This console has a 2K mic input Z btw. I do love a 57.

Thanks. These are all some good solid improvements that will be much appreciated.

Comment

Yes, only use the external on dynamics since phantom power condensers would not be improved by a match change. An external box allows it to be plugged in when needed and removed when using a high output condenser. At normal gain structure, if he is hearing hiss, something is wrong. Maybe he is cranking up the gain in no-signal conditions to get a sense of the noise. All amps will have noise and it can be heard if the post gain is high enough. The whole point of record engineering is to understand how to optimize the results in light of the natural limitations of practical electronics and create a performance that when listened to normally, camouflages any technical limits.
      I run into the same thing when people ask me why their photos are not sharp or appear noisy. My first question is "are you zooming in to high magnification?" and almost always the answer to their problem is contained in their answer to my question. An image is not a picture if not seen at normal distances and display size. Getting very close to a painting turns it into nonsensical noise, but only becomes a picture with meaning when viewed from intended distances as a whole. The same with a music production and performance. If anyone can hear noise from preamps, 60 db down, they are not listening to music but listening to equipment at unrealistic levels and in unrealistic conditions. The equipment conard is used by amateurs to explain why their music is not popular. It never has been and never will be the limiting factor in appeal. No more than magic guitar tone is going to make or break a player's appeal. It is an amateur excuse as to why they have nothing interesting to communicate musically.

Comment

So I am moving along nicely on this project. I have done the Master Mix module, Aux Master module, 2 input strips and 2 power supplies and re-installed and everything fired up perfect. Line tests all good and so on to the other 30 inputs, plus group modules, stereo return modules, and meter bridge. I look forward to hearing some feedback from the owner once he has taken the time to do some work on it and has a good listen.

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Hey there audiopete. I know this is a very old thread but I am just beginning my own journey of restoring a TS12 and was wondering if you had any resources beyond the user guide in regards to the channel strips. Currently only 1/3 of the channels are even passing mic signal. Do you happen to have a schematic of what voltages should be present at different points on the channel strip circuits? This board seems to have been heavily modded at some point. While cleaning pots and switches I’ve noticed many different opamps and added paper caps joined to electrolytics on the back of the board. Any help/guidance would be appreciated as I’ve never done any circuit work this involved before. Thank you. Austin

Comment

Working...
          X