Different types of power resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different types of power resistors

I've been planning to add in a choke, and to add in a switch on the back of the chassis to go between the choke and the stock power resistor which is a ceramic 7W 220 ohm.

It would make it easier if I just ran wires off the PCB, and housed the resistor and switch elsewhere in terms of being cleaner and easier to mount.

I was thinking of substituting the ceramic wirewound for a chassis mount aluminium casing resistor. I have a 25W 250 ohm which could work, I was just wondering if there would be any downsides to this idea and using a different resistor type? If anything the better power handling could be a good thing in terms of less heat or chance of failure? I don't know if it's the inductive or non inductive type, but I assume it's an inductive type.

Just wondering if there'd be any downsides to this?

Your 25W 250R resistor will work fine. It's a bit overkill, but that's never a bad thing. I will say...

You probably won't use that switch very much. It's more likely you'll find you like the amp in one switch position and leave it there, always. The difference between the choke or the resistor will be whatever suits the amp to your ears. Everything else about the amp will conspire to pigeon hole your preference. How you use the amp and how the rest of the design relates to 'choke vs. resistor' will remain constant. IMHO you'd be better off just play testing the amp with either and deciding which you like better for that particular amp and use only a choke OR a resistor.

Extra controls that don't do very much are just distractions that have you making adjustments when you should be playing your guitar.

JM2C
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Do yourself a favor. temporarily wire the choke into the circuit and see if it makes enough difference to matter. In many cases it won't. That might make the whole switch thing irrelevant. And like Chuck said, in all likelihood, you will like one way more than the other and never use a switch if you had one.

Any power resistor of enough rating will be fine, type won't matter. To me what matters ,most is the mounting it will require. Any inductance the resistor has is miniscule and will have no effect. it is about as important as wwhether the weight of your pocket knife will affect the gas mileage of your car.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X