"New" Coil Winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Coil Winder

One of the first winders I started using was a HF tabletop lathe. It had its obvious shortcomings but had many benefits, good torque and speed. I took a break from winding to work on a new album and now that I've got a few pending orders I was considering getting a Mojotone winder but it's almost impossible for me to pull that $500 trigger. And if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want to spend it twice and get one of CNCdudez winders.

So I got the lathe back out and made a list of what it had to have to make it something I want to wind on, not something I had to wind on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150120_154848258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	869244

Here's the stock control box. I clipped the breaker, removed the momentary switch, and ran 2 wires from it out the back to my Sestos counter. It now has auto-shut off but, depending on RPMs, there's anywhere from a couple to a dozen winds once it shuts off. In place of the momentary switch I put a DPDT center off switch wired between the DC from the lathe's circuit bored and the motor. This gives me forward and reverse.

Name:	IMG_20150120_154853456_HDR.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	869245

Here's the Sestos. I didn't wire the power supply into the lathes. I would do so if I put this all in a breakout box. Like I said it can be programmed and set to auto shutoff.

Name:	IMG_20150120_154910448_HDR.jpg
Size:	1,023.4 KB
ID:	869246

This is the same setup as before. Magnetic switch. I never went with photo-optic because this proved to be accurate to over 2000rpms. There's a little neo mag on the inside of the lathe faceplate to trigger revolutions. I'm certain the size of the mag is important to accuracy.

Name:	IMG_20150120_154925406.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	869247

This is the last but that really makes it usable. I really hate using tape to attach bobbins. Went to the local "metal store" - they have a cool retail shop with laser cut this and that and scrap. Got a couple aluminum discs. The lathe faceplate has 8 holes well out of the way of any holes needed for bobbin attachment. Drilled 2 of these, countersunk, and bolted the jig to the faceplate. I put a center hole for strat pups and a set for 49/50/53mm HB bobbins. Haven't drilled any for P90's or other types. I tapped these holes for a 4-40 thread. The attachment I borrowed from pics of Mojotone's winder. The benefit of this is that it's very secure AND prevent flairing.

So it's everything it can be short of being automatic. It's neither pretty nor small (which is why I wanted a dedicated winder), but for under $140 it's about the best coil winder you're going to find.

Thoughts? Questions?

Hey Jr,

It looks great and I'm sure it will work well doing the winding. I like the Sestos counter, where did you get that from?

I originally bought an old sewing machine to build a winder but the machine I got was actually a nice one so today I bought another one to tear down for my build. Spent 20 bucks on it. Hopefully it will have enough parts to get mine close to a full build...

Cheers

Comment

For anyone interested, here's another nice winder based on the HF lathe.
      I think the author did a great job, and details everything you need to build one yourself.

Pro quality pickup winder - 3000+ RPM pickup winder with Tach, Counter and autostop
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
        Hey Jr,

It looks great and I'm sure it will work well doing the winding. I like the Sestos counter, where did you get that from?

I originally bought an old sewing machine to build a winder but the machine I got was actually a nice one so today I bought another one to tear down for my build. Spent 20 bucks on it. Hopefully it will have enough parts to get mine close to a full build...

Cheers
        Ebay. Cheap from China.

Comment

This is awesome. Exactly what I did with a few differences. I am going to copy that wire guide idea. GREAT idea.

Comment

Working...
          X