Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever seen Fender style tweed material but in different colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen Fender style tweed material but in different colors?

I'm going to look around locally and see what I can find. So far no luck at the online parts suppliers. Just thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Sounds like a neat idea. No reason it couldn't be stained or dyed. I think most of the product sold for amps is raw and unfinished. I've never seen it done. The "tweed" color that we're all familiar with is a natural cane type color. You'll probably need to roll your own for this one. Tweed is a fabric textile AFAIK so there may be alternative product uses that involve other colors. I might look into luggage or furniture fabrics.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Agree.
      Tweed was actually a *luggage* covering material, specially for trunks, which were the standard luggage piece in the old days, where important travels were by steam ship (or even earlier: sail ship) or train.
      People wasn't even supposed to hand carry baggage (much less with fold out handles and tiny wheels below ) .
      So I guess Fender chose to package his amps exactly like a popular luggage type, to emphasize the portabilitry aspect, same with the kind of handles, skids and corner protective hardware which was added later.
      Using one variety of tan coloured cloth was their choice, luggage tweed was available in a variety of brown and grey types, from light bto dark shades.
      And varnishing it was normal, to improve weather and dirt handling.

So yes, luggage type tweed was always available in a variety of colours and shades.

Classic early 1900's trunk:

FWIW Argentina is an Immigration Country and I remember some households still kept somewhere "Grandpa's trunk, which they brought from Europe" .... often containing "Grandma's wedding dress" plus assorted Family memorabilia.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'm vaguely remembering a thread here some years ago where someone did a pseudo tweed style cosmetic (Deluxe amp cabinet. Top mount controls.) but for a more modern look they covered it in graphite fabric. It looked pretty boss too. I'll look for it and post if I can find it. Don't hold your breath though.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I couldn't find the thread on this forum but I did find the amp. The guy documented the build on another forum as well. Here's the link:

Fender® Forums ? View topic - My 5E3 Tweed Deluxe build aka Carbon Twill Deluxe

Comment

Here's the one I think you were looking for Chuck:
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t23599/
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Check if your local vendor of car hardware has Tolex and 'surface' cloth.
              In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X