New Winder slowly coming together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
    I think you'll find every winder that has decided to go the distance has uttered that exact phrase! The true first step.
    Word.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
      Word.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jim-carrey-lloyd-christmas-dumb-and-dumber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	836758 Hey Harry, we can use a lampcord to make that pickup...

What type and wire gauge would I use to rewind an old Seymour Duncan Pearly gates plus to get it close to what it was?

Is there any data bases anyone have here that list the wraps per bobbin and magnet to maybe make a SD JB or SD Distortion Humbucker? I'm sure someone here has a list compiled?

Or maybe a good pickup book besides Lollars that I could get cheap that's good? I would like to get Lollars book but I was outsourced in 2013 took a year off then started looking for a job since, time to downgrade as nothing around me in my field...Its a pain in networking when I have an Alcatel background but everyone wants Cisco...
      Last edited by Slobrain; 02-03-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]32743[/ATTACH] Hey Harry, we can use a lampcord to make that pickup...

What type and wire gauge would I use to rewind an old Seymour Duncan Pearly gates plus to get it close to what it was?

Is there any data bases anyone have here that list the wraps per bobbin and magnet to maybe make a SD JB or SD Distortion Humbucker? I'm sure someone here has a list compiled?

Or maybe a good pickup book besides Lollars that I could get cheap that's good? I would like to get Lollars book but I was outsourced in 2013 took a year off then started looking for a job since, time to downgrade as nothing around me in my field...Its a pain in networking when I have an Alcatel background but everyone wants a Cisco...
        Although geared toward bass pickups, "Animal Magnetism by Musicians" by Erno Zwan is a pretty good little book. He goes over several different designs, and none are really your typical designs like P-bass or Jazz bass. He's also the man behind Q-Tuner pickups: Q-tuner

Comment

Name:	IMG_4773.JPG
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	836799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4774.JPG
Size:	556.7 KB
ID:	836800Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4775.JPG
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	836801Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4776.JPG
Size:	551.6 KB
ID:	836802 some pics and a crude video of the finished winder, crude build but hopefully it will do the job. I might install the Sestos counter so I can see the numbers better. total cost maybe $60.00 total...
          Last edited by Slobrain; 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Right on! That'll do it.

Did you say earlier, where you got your bobbin mount discs?

Comment

Right on! That'll do it.

Did you say earlier, where you got your bobbin mount discs?
              Acrylic Plexiglass Plastic Round Sheet 1 8" x 5" Circle Clear | eBay

I superglued them on... They are holding pretty well too.

Comment

I have to ask about 2 sided tape to use. I found some at home depot that has some kind of material in it and real sticky or do the folks here use something different?

here is what I found but I think it isn't what everyone else uses.

Roberts Indoor/Outdoor 3 in. x 15 ft. Double-Sided Carpet Tape Roll-50-605-12 - The Home Depot

Comment

Carpet tape might be a lot too grabby. I use some double-stick 3M stuff that comes in little strips: it can be wiped with a wet cloth to clean and reactivate the sticky. Find it in the office supply section of your grocery. I've had the same stuff on my platen for all my winds and it's still plenty sticky.

Little tip: turn on your machine and use a Sharpie to draw bullseyes on the discs. Since we're centering bobbins by eye, instead of with registering holes, this helps a lot.

Comment

Carpet tape might be a lot too grabby. I use some double-stick 3M stuff that comes in little strips: it can be wiped with a wet cloth to clean and reactivate the sticky. Find it in the office supply section of your grocery. I've had the same stuff on my platen for all my winds and it's still plenty sticky.

Little tip: turn on your machine and use a Sharpie to draw bullseyes on the discs. Since we're centering bobbins by eye, instead of with registering holes, this helps a lot.
                    The bulls eye sounds like a good idea. The sticky stuff you mention I'll look for some of that. I'm Going to do some practice with thread and see how smooth that goes. I'll have to save up for the materials. I need to get the small wires that the bobbin wires solder too and the main 4 conductor wire with the added ground like SD uses, the tape too. Once I get that I'll give rebuilding that old Pearly Gates a shot. I'm glad to be somewhat finished with the winder but I need to make sure this will work or if I need to tweak anything. If all goes well I'll probably get that Sestos counter so I can see it better... Eyesight isn't as good as it once was...

Cheers

Comment

The 3M tape in question is called R100 but that isn't featured prominently in the packaging. The tape is a clear mastic about 1/32" thick. It comes in rectangular sheets or a roll.
                      Scotch 859: Removable Clear Mounting Squares | OfficeWorld.com

Edit: Now they're calling it 3M Scotch 859.

Comment

I should give credit where due: it was Mr. King who pointed me to this tape.

Don't worry too much about where you get your hookup wires. Do you have a Fry's or old-school Radio Shack nearby? Get some 26 or 28 gauge stranded wire in the colors you want for a few bucks per 25 foot role. Got any old USB cables around? I found one with red, green, black, and white wires, foil wrap, and braided shielding. I got my magnet wire from Remington on amazon for about $29, lead wire from Fry's for $12, and the USB cable was free from the IT guy at work who was throwing it out. If you want to go all legit and vintage and stuff, get the real goods: I happen to enjoy going to lengths NOT to buy materials from the usual, proper suppliers.

Comment

I should give credit where due: it was Mr. King who pointed me to this tape.

Don't worry too much about where you get your hookup wires. Do you have a Fry's or old-school Radio Shack nearby? Get some 26 or 28 gauge stranded wire in the colors you want for a few bucks per 25 foot role. Got any old USB cables around? I found one with red, green, black, and white wires, foil wrap, and braided shielding. I got my magnet wire from Remington on amazon for about $29, lead wire from Fry's for $12, and the USB cable was free from the IT guy at work who was throwing it out. If you want to go all legit and vintage and stuff, get the real goods: I happen to enjoy going to lengths NOT to buy materials from the usual, proper suppliers.
                          I agree, I like to do stuff with the cheaper route as long as it works correctly. The USB cable is a good one. I can find those cheap locally.

Comment

Radio Shack wire is truly terrible. At least all the stuff I bought from them 30 years ago. I still have it.
                            Life is a lot easier with good hookup wire. I love the teflon silver plated wire you can find surplus on ebay. You do need a sharp, gauge specific stripper.

Comment

Name:	DSC01345.JPG
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	836825I sure would like to find the exact wire that SD uses but I'm sure its not cheap. Back in the late 90s, early 2000s when I was building Soldano SLO 50/ 100 clones I used to get wire from this guy below. Its silver plated Teflon stuff and worked excellent. Three of these I built. The second from the top with the EL34s my buddy built. Did these around 2001 and 2002

Apex Jr.Home Page

Someone on Ampage had pointed me to Steve at Apex and I was glad. I guess I should check the site and see what he has that would work.

BTW, the 3m dual sided stick tapes worked great. Thanks guys.

Cheers
                              Last edited by Slobrain; 02-12-2015, 01:55 AM.

Comment

For hook up wire on the bobbins, I use this.
                                http://www.amazon.com/Ul1007-1569-St...07+28+awg+wire
                                In white, black, red, and green.
                                For lead wire for the pickups, I use 2 wire with shield, and 4 wire with shield.
                                2-Conductor Shielded Guitar Pickup Wire
                                4-Conductor Shielded 28 Gauge Guitar Pickup Wire
                                If you plan on selling any pickups, you might as well get geared up with the right stuff!
                                It costs a little more, but doesn't take that much of it.
                                T
                                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X