Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Walkabout power amp - inherent flaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Walkabout power amp - inherent flaw?

I've worked on a few of these and all of them have one thing in common - high DC offset. The one I have right now has +180mv. Last one was over 100mv too. I've also noticed that when hot they can shift either way.

Anyone notice the same thing?

Walkabout.pdf

Well, it really has no control of the output offset except MOSFET matching. Some circuits of this type have a servo to zero the output, but some don't. This may be the only Mesa product with a bias adjustment.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I suspect many of these are running with a high offset without anyone noticing. This one needed pots cleaning but I checked it over anyhow. I like simple, but it seems to me this is too simple.

Comment

True but no big deal.

Output rail is centered depending on D1/D2 R19/R20 matching.

Fets also play a little part in it.

Not worse than the classic transformer driven bipolar output, which was never adjustable either, and depended on matching of a string of resistors and also some influence from transistor Vbe.

Used for decades and never caused trouble.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          True but no big deal.
          Yes, why worry 180mV offset is only 4mW with an 8 ohm load.

Comment

I agree, 180mv may be more than average, but I don't really consider it excessive until maybe a quarter volt.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agreed, no big deal, but interesting to hear opinions. Though for a relatively modern amp design this is high when we're so used to seeing just a few mV offset. I've previously swapped diodes to get the offset down, but that's a game and not really worth it given the amount of time involved in removing the board.

I got fixated on offset a while back when I redesigned the Sessionette PM-120 power amp to include adjustable bias and offset. The result was nice in theory - perfect bias and zero offset. Worth it? NO!

But I can sleep at night.

Comment

Working...
              X