No announcement yet.

Best speakers for 5F6-A Tweed Bassman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best speakers for 5F6-A Tweed Bassman?

I hear the RI Jensens suck, but I heard of a way you could connect them to a variac and apply acetone to the surround with a brush (with the variac on, somewhat dangerous) to break them in (I guess the presumption here is that they used too much doping).

Also, anybody tried the Weber 10A100T's? 10A125's? Blue Pups?

I'm thinking that I'll mix and match and try to put in a few different types of alnico 10's to get a more tonal response, unless I can find vintage P10R's or P10Q's.

I haven't tried them but I've heard both good and bad about the RI Jensens. I've seen recommendations for 10" Alnico Eminences. Nearly everything I've heard about the Weber speakers has been good.

Comment

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merch...tegory_Code=12

The cones on these (Donal Kapi) are supposedly the same used on the original 10-inch Jensens on those old Bassman amps.

Comment

I'd stay away from the Jensens. They are OK but far from being the best. Every one of their alnico's I have owned so far have an unpleasant figh frequency that takes away much of their smoothnes. Low end response is poor IMHO as well. I don't like the way they respond in a Bassman. I have not played the 10A125s myself yet but the Weber 12A150As in my 5E8 clone are incredible. I think Ted knows how to make a great Alnico speaker.
        I have some 10A125s on order tho because ther's a 5F4 kit on the way. It will be two or three weeks until I receive them and the amp is built ... I can report back in case you still haven't made your decision by then.

Comment

Thanks Bluefinger --

I did get an original Jensen P10R off of ebay (now I need three more..)

Time isn't of the essence here, so I'm thinking I might wait around to try to get another P10R and a couple of vintage P10Qs...

Of course, I might just get one more real deal, then drop in a weber blue pup and an alnico tone tubby.

Comment

I just put together a Weber 5F6A kit with the Weber 10A125 speakers. Everyone who's played the amp really likes the tone, low volume to high. I also specifically asked each of the players if they liked the speaker tone. The response has been unanimously positive. I understand Clark Amps and Victoria is using the same speakers in their 5F6A.

Comment

You might also look at the 10's from WarehouseSpeakers.com

Comment

Working...
              X