Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at installing tweed -- a Deluxe and a Tremolux -- did an "aged" look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at installing tweed -- a Deluxe and a Tremolux -- did an "aged" look

How'd I do?

I wanted the tweed to look naturally aged but I didn't want to abuse them, so this is what I came up with.

Once the tweed cloth was installed (using a particular brand wide double sided carpet tape instead of glue but that's another subject), I dusted both cabs lightly and irregularly with an aerosol toner lacquer that was a brown color similar to the darker threads in the tweed material. After that I loaded the sprayer up with Zinnser amber shellac and went to town. Going a little heavy with the amber in between the darker areas created by the toner lacquer tends to average out the overall color but leaves an aged, imperfect look on the fabric. Still needs just a little practice on making it look even more natural, but overall I think it came out not overly intentional looking. YMMV

honest opinions welcomed. Not everybody likes this sort of thing and some do but are pickier than others.

The 5e3 cab was intentionally more subtle, and the tremolux a little more extreme [without going over the top].

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

They look damn fine. Especially considering its your first tweed job and that you used double sided carpet tape.
    Tom

Comment

looks good. Generally a good idea is a few coats of clear lacquer prior to the color then you can sand out any irregularities that bother you.

Comment

Working...
      X