Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate vintage club vc120h all tube. Very rare amp? Crate going under?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate vintage club vc120h all tube. Very rare amp? Crate going under?

I have one and its number 9 off the assembly line. A friend has number 11 off the line as well. These amps were offered through one issue of mus*cians friend. It is a very hard to find this tube amp anywhere. The price on these amps was cheap when they were offered. Anyone else have these? They couldnt of made to many? As well in the last few years crate is disappearing in the music magazines for consumer purchases for guitar cabinets and amplifiers. Is crate going under? Parts may get hard to find and people to service them as well. Whats your thoughts?

Not sure if they're going away, but these big tube amps of theirs have. The Ampeg/Crate SLM tube amps are still popular with their fans, and reviled by those who've had issues with them. The VC-120 is a -very- hard to find critter, and getting info about them is harder still. I have a brand new PT for one, was looking to use it for another project, but have nothing to reference regards color codes/hookup for the leads, beyond the black/white main power.

Do you play it much, or is it in the 'collection?' I've had several Crate VC amps here, mostly 50s, two of them still in residence; several other main boards V18,30, etc. I find them smoked or hurt, and bring them back to life if I can. Gives me a chance to use some of that high school 'lectronics that's still buried in my head some place.

Comment

Don't overthink it.
      Being all over the place and mentioned by everybody is the exception, not the rule.

The day you see no Crate or Ampeg products anywhere might mean something ..... but I guess we are FAR from that.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

about as collectible as a PT Cruiser I'd say... enjoy it!

Comment

I have one of these as well in practically mint condition, not sure what number it is. It's hard to get rid of lol but if it's a rare amp I might just hang on to it.

Comment

Can't say as I can think of any Crate amp that was rare. They all are mass produced, lower tier products. Crate aims at a volume market, not an esoteric niche.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you like it, its a classic!

Last edited by tedmich; 03-18-2015, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X