X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winding first pu.... hand movement

hello,
    excuse my english....
    i would try to winding my first pu but i have a doubt about hand movement that guide the wire.....

do i must go slowly from left to right and then return rapidly to left?... or return slowly too??

.... in practice: wire layers must be winding so:

----------->
    ----------->
    ----------->
    ----------->

or so:

---------->
    <----------
    ---------->
    <----------
    ---------->

thanks
    bye

Personally, I'm wind more like:

-------------->
    <-------------
    -------------->

But that's a good question, I never really thought about it...
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I go from left to right and back again, all at the same speed. I slow down in spots that aren't getting enough wire.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Okay, lets add to the question. Do people wind slowly, trying to lay down nice layers, or is it a relatively quick pass where it would take multiple passes to cover a layer? How long does it take you to make a pass? Me, about 5 secs I guess.
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

In the discussions on winders I said that from what I can tell I move my hand back and forth about every second.

So I do it rather quickly. But I vary a lot as I'm winding.

That's going from memory. I haven't wound anything in a month or so... I'm busy with the woodworking part at the moment.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

[QUOTE=David Schwab;30019]In the discussions on winders I said that from what I can tell I move my hand back and forth about every second.

So I do it rather quickly.

Glad you mentioned winders there. ( the mind Boggles.)

Comment

Part of it depends on how fast you have your winder set. The faster the winder is set the faster you have to move your hand. When I was winding my 1st few pickups at 45rpm I moved my hand very slow. Now I wind and 1500 rpm and I move my hand pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroyew View Post
                Part of it depends on how fast you have your winder set. The faster the winder is set the faster you have to move your hand. When I was winding my 1st few pickups at 45rpm I moved my hand very slow. Now I wind and 1500 rpm and I move my hand pretty fast.
                Oh yeah... forgot about that. My winder goes to about 700 rpm, and I run it 50-75% of full speed.

Comment

ok, but my question was about direction of layers not about hand speed....

my doubt was if all layers must have same directions or not....

thanks for your reply and excuse my english

Comment

Originally posted by murof View Post
                    ok, but my question was about direction of layers not about hand speed....

my doubt was if all layers must have same directions or not....

thanks for your reply and excuse my english
                    Not sure I misunderstand your meaning. When winding, your hand is guiding the wire left to right, right to left for example - that's it (ie. the direction changes). I don't see how the wire can have the same direction unless a layer is wound from left to right, stop or guide it quickly back to the left, wind left to right (not really the same direction).
                    int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
                    www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

murof,
                      I wind the same amout of time, right and left. Slow right, slow left. No fast return.
                      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

One useful thing you might try is to run your winder as a constant known rpm and then roughly calculate how many turns you would get on the bobbin when traversing it in a certain number of seconds. This will give you a rough turns per layer number. I have seen pickups where people go as high as 15-8 turns per layer on a humbucker bobbin. I personally think this is way too fast but it works for some people. Take that as sort of the top end traverse speed limit and experiment down from there.
                        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                        www.throbak.com
                        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

You post got me kind of confused. Are you saying 15-(18) turns is fast movement, or slow? To me, it's very fast hand movement...
                          Last edited by chevalij; 08-23-2007, 10:00 AM.
                          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I would consider 8-15 turns per layer fast.
                            They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                            www.throbak.com
                            Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Different traverse speeds will give you different patterns and different tones. Some of those different tones are great, some not so great.

So there is no wrong way to do it, except for those ways that give you lousy tone, which you can only find by trial and error -- because nobody in here is about to give up their secret recipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X