No announcement yet.

New here, just made my first pickup(s)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, just made my first pickup(s)!

Hello!

I just joined this forum since I've read some posts here before and decided to start building and experimenting with pickups for fun. I wound a strat pickup (haven't tried it yet) and a humbucker with threaded A5 rods.

I found some interesting readings with the A5 rod humbucker design...while the DC resistance with 42 AWG is at a little over 6K, the inductance is only at 1.65H. I haven't had more than a few minutes to play with it yet, but I will have a chance over the next couple of days.

Hi Bradley,

Welcome to the pickup forum and congratulations on the successful completion of your first pickup! We'll be looking forward to hearing how you like these attempts.
    I have a couple of questions for you:
    Where did you find the threaded A5 magnets?
    What did you do to measure the inductance?

Comment

Shea has those available on his list.
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
      10x32x.630".
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Where did you find the threaded A5 magnets?
        I got the threaded A5 magnets from a magnet supplier in the USA...I'll look through my my e-mails for the invoice and try to find the vendor for you.

Originally posted by David King View Post
        What did you do to measure the inductance?
        With an LCR meter. "UNI-T UT58D" was the model. I check the inductance with both a couple of manufactured pickups I had laying around and the both were what the manufacture specs listed for their inductance, So I'm based on some of my small sample sized, inductive reasoning (see what I did their?), I assumed that the meter was giving me an accurate enough of an inductance reading to be used for comparing pickups :-)

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Shea has those available on his list.
          http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
          10x32x.630".
          Yup, Shea is who I ordered them from.

Comment

They are pretty pricey, I guess You're paying for those threads!
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Congrats on your first pickups!!

Comment

Working...
              X