Gang-winding replica coils by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gang-winding replica coils by hand

It occurred to me that if you have a setup which has a variable speed motor turning one bobbin and also something like Joe's wire guiding disks to keep flyaway wires from happening, that you could stack perhaps half a dozen coils on the spindle, each with its own guiding disks. So you can now spin N bobbins at a time.

If you make a multi-guide consisting of a sliding rod or bar with a number of wire guides clamped on it, sitting at the same distance apart as the bobbins, and have one tensioner per wire, you can now hand-guide several bobbins simultaneously.

Yeah, you gotta be able to watch for disasters on more than one at a time. Maybe pairs are more reasonable. Yes, you have to have N spools of wire to feed simultaneously. Spooling off to low mass secondary spools could do that.

You can make the sliding guide from a metal rod or tube sliding in oilite bushings with adjustable guides made from shaft collars and with the wire guide attached to the collar. An alternate is an L-bracket mounted on ball bearings or plastic slide bearings to slide sideways with a set of wire guides clamped to position. A handle on the traverse makes the multi-traverse move them all at the same time.

It's not useful to the one-at-a-time winder, but the commercial guys might like it.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
    It's not useful to the one-at-a-time winder, but the commercial guys might like it.
    It is if you want to wind two coils in a humbucker exactly the same.

TV Jones does exactly that.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yep, that's the idea. But that looks like a fancier coil winder than I had in mind... 8-)
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Been there , done that am doing that. Works like a charm, you can rig it for hand or computer wire guiding. I made my winder to do 10 humbucker bobbins at one shot but it was a bit scary from a stability standpoint with that many so I only do 6 at a time. When you consider how simple winding a coil really is there are many low tech ways to do it. And if you are trying to aim for a more vintage pickup design low tech is the way to go as far as tensioning goes as well.
        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
        www.throbak.com
        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Working...
        X