Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any new EL84's lately with better reject rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new EL84's lately with better reject rates?

Sovtek is junk and JJ's have been pretty unreliable too. So since I haven't looked at current production for some time i was wondering if anyone is making a more reliable 84 than the JJs today?

Originally posted by daz View Post
    Sovtek is junk and JJ's have been pretty unreliable too. So since I haven't looked at current production for some time i was wondering if anyone is making a more reliable 84 than the JJs today?
    Like firecrackers? China EL84 will fit the bill nicely, if you dare run them over 300V.

I've had relatively good luck with JJ within the last 6 or 7 years. You might want to get some fresh ones & hopefully you'll like 'em better than "back then." Of course it's best to source them from an outfit that tests & matches sets, that way (hopefully) the baddies will have been culled out. Here a typical use is in a Fender Blues Junior, 325V plate, 26 to 29 milliamps plate current. Yes I alter the bias supply so output tubes won't wear out prematurely. (Factory runs 'em 35-45 mA). Nobody has complained about "thin tone" and scope reveals there's enough bias current to eliminate the crossover spike.

I understand the supply of mil-spec Russian EL84, uset to be sold as EL-84M by Groove, is dwindling and prices correspondingly rising. Currently made Sovtek/EH/GoldLion, I don't know, don't much deal with 'em except to replace those gone bad.

If there's any other EL84 in production, somebody let us know, I'm at the end of my list.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with the plain Jane Sovtek el84 (not the "M") They have good tone! A lot like the older and renown tubes but with a small bump in the high, but not harsh treble frequencies. I had a fat box of the older more popular ones so I was able to compare them side by side. I read a lot about how bad the new ones sound and I just don't get it.?. They're electrically tough (high voltage, hot bias, overdissipate screens, etc.) but somewhat mechanically weak as they DO go microphonic in combos a little quicker than some other brands. JUST LIKE THE OLDER ONES.

I can't speak as to the reliability of JJ el84's, but JJ has really been iffy for big bottles IME. Too bad if their el84's have gone the same route. Everyone seemed to like them.

I haven't tried the Chinese tubes yet. My concern is that they would be even more microphonic than the Sovtek's. Their big bottles tend to be so I wouldn't expect better with their version of the skinny little el84. But this concern is unfounded at this time and my experience with Shuggy tubes has been good overall.

My next move if I were you would be to try and shake off the internet lore and consider the current Sovtek's with unbiased ears. If you honestly don't like them there is still TAD (very good rep) and Ruby (Shuguang). Something out there sounds good. I don't expect Brad to stop using his Dr. Z amps any time soon
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I haven't had a problem with the plain Jane Sovtek el84 (not the "M") They have good tone! A lot like the older and renown tubes but with a small bump in the high, but not harsh treble frequencies. I had a fat box of the older more popular ones so I was able to compare them side by side. I read a lot about how bad the new ones sound and I just don't get it.?. They're electrically tough (high voltage, hot bias, overdissipate screens, etc.) but somewhat mechanically weak as they DO go microphonic in combos a little quicker than some other brands. JUST LIKE THE OLDER ONES.

I can't speak as to the reliability of JJ el84's, but JJ has really been iffy for big bottles IME. Too bad if their el84's have gone the same route. Everyone seemed to like them.

I haven't tried the Chinese tubes yet. My concern is that they would be even more microphonic than the Sovtek's. Their big bottles tend to be so I wouldn't expect better with their version of the skinny little el84. But this concern is unfounded at this time and my experience with Shuggy tubes has been good overall.

My next move if I were you would be to try and shake off the internet lore and consider the current Sovtek's with unbiased ears. If you honestly don't like them there is still TAD (very good rep) and Ruby (Shuguang). Something out there sounds good. I don't expect Brad to stop using his Dr. Z amps any time soon
        Where are the TAD's made?

Comment

They're probably Shuggies (Chinese). I don't know if there are any other tube makers doing STR (special tube request). TAD has these tubes made for them with some specific criteria. Sounds Chinese to me.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
            Where are the TAD's made?
            China. What TAD offers are 1: ordinary Shuguang tubes, tested, also B: STR Shuguang tubes, with blackened plates or short bottle or maybe a couple of heat-sink "wings" stuck on the plate, also tested, matched if power tubes. So far I haven't seen any advantage to TAD's STR tubes. I'll give 'em points for "keep trying." Since TAD's all the way in Germany, I get my Shuggies from Ruby. Heckuva lot cheaper/easier to ship back any bad ones. For those in Europe, I reckon TAD is a better source.

Now you've got advice that A: all of 'em suck, and 2: all of 'em worth a try. So it goes...
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
            X