Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Mechanical Counter Trouble

Hi,

There's been a couple instances where the auto stop is not working, and others times when it won't count at all. If I reset the auto stop it'll start working again. - Almost seems like it's slipping.

Below is a photo of it. Anyone have any idea if it's an easy fix or worked on one of these?

Thanks.

Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Can you squirt some dry lube in there like Super Lube with Teflon, 11oz Spray Can | SPORTSMITH.net

Comment

Mechanical counters have a speed limit. Are you going too fast for the counter? And, the closer one is to the limit, the more critical all the various timing details become.

Comment

I'll have a look and see if there's anywhere that some of that lube can be put in.

I wind @ right around 1,050 RPM. I'd think that's well under the limit of that counter though.

Thanks.
        Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

I'd check to make sure that the internal gear or pulley sheaves are secure on their shafts and that any internal belts aren't slipping.
          I suspect it might be an issue where the reset button is not popping all the way back out after being depressed so that the counter isn't completely engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            I'd check to make sure that the internal gear or pulley sheaves are secure on their shafts and that any internal belts aren't slipping.
            I suspect it might be an issue where the reset button is not popping all the way back out after being depressed so that the counter isn't completely engaged.
            Good advice. This is likely the source of the problem. Also, check the main counter drive pulley for slippage.

And check the contacts on the auto-stop switch (be sure to power off and unplug the unit before tackling the electronics troubleshooting).
            Last edited by Jim Darr; 02-12-2015, 03:59 AM.
            =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

those will eventually wear out and will start to miscount- youll notice your ohm ranges will be way out of whack from one bobbin to the next, I have many old winders from the 40's and 50s that have a traverser like a leesona and the mechanical counters eventually all fail- I still have one out of 10 with that type of counter that still works. I replaced all of them with digitals. Clean and lubricate it but eventually the inevitable will happen- hopefully yours has another few million turns it will go.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

What are good options for digital counters with auto stop? I think I'll be proactive and get a digital counter sooner than later.
                Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

SESTOS
                  They make one that's good to 5kcps instead of ten.

I see them for $29 on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                  X