Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Chuck:
    where do I get some of that unobtanium, and what is the symbol on the periodic table?
    T
    Unobtanium, unfortunately, cannot be obtained. It doesn't use letters for it's symbol like the other elements so I cannot write it with my keyboard. But it's the same as the one used by the artist formerly known as Prince.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      My Chromebook can "see" all four clips, but can't "hear" the first one (Weber).
      When I initially accessed the page, all clips were playing at once. Talk about a "shootout"- it sounded like WWIII.
      Egads all 4 clips play simultaneously when I open the page! What a horrible sound ! Like Skynard on Quaaludes!
      Last edited by tedmich; 03-18-2016, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        where do I get some of that unobtanium, and what is the symbol on the periodic table? T
        Not yet available, there will be unobtainium mines on planet/moon Pandora by 2154.

From film "Avatar" on Wikipedia:

"By 2154, humans have depleted Earth's natural resources, leading to a severe energy crisis. The Resources Development Administration (RDA) for short, mines for a valuable mineral – unobtanium – on Pandora, a densely forested habitable moon orbiting the gas giant Polyphemus in the Alpha Centauri star system."

I didn't see "Avatar" until late last year, thought it was a hoot that they called their miracle element "unobtainium," a term I first heard 20 years ago from an IBM engineer.

- - - - - -

I'd seen that transformer shootout result & thought it supports my observations, especially that Mercury have nothing special despite all their carnival barker claims. Transformers for 'seekers', and there's a seeker born every minute isn't there. The only reason to go there is if you need some special transformer that simply isn't available anywhere else, and you have an unlimited budget to buy that transformer.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Yes, it may be justified to get, say, a 4 secondary driver transformer for a bridged output SS Sunn amp, stuff like that where there's no other source, but, say, for a Plexi ot Fender OT?
          At those 3-4X prices?
          Forget it.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

But the adds have a chick!!! These are total rock star transformers!

Seriously. I was taken aback the first time I saw an add in a guitar magazine for amplifier transformers?!? And all dolled up like a guitar or amp add too. It's pretty clear they're marketing at players rather than amp designers or repair techs. And for that you DO pay a hefty premium. So I suppose it's to their credit that they actually do make a good product since in this light they only need to be average. Still, I decided when I saw the add that I wouldn't be considering them.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstackdemo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	841359

from FAQ
              FatStack™ (SuperStack™): FatStack transformers are custom-designed Mercury Magnetics transformers that have extra iron. In an output transformer it extends the bass frequency response. In the power transformer it can minimize tone drift giving your amp more stability and headroom. Our SuperStack is similar but built higher to accommodate smaller mounting footprints.

im sold
              not
              Last edited by tedmich; 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Well they've already used chicks in other adds. I would have though the "stack" shtick would have been a great opportunity.

That's seriously ridiculous. That's better because.?. I wonder how many suckers thought their amps sounded a lot better with the choke upgrade.

Comment

Well to be fair if it weighs 2X its "giving your amp more stability"
                  just try and move this thing!!!

but if its 2x taller you'll have less "headroom" right??

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post

from FAQ
                    FatStack™ (SuperStack™): FatStack transformers are custom-designed Mercury Magnetics transformers that have extra iron. In an output transformer it extends the bass frequency response. In the power transformer it can minimize tone drift giving your amp more stability and headroom. Our SuperStack is similar but built higher to accommodate smaller mounting footprints.

im sold
                    not
                    Tone drift? Well, I did find this image: https://www.lyst.com/jewelry/lulu-fr...ne-drift-cuff/

Stability and headroom. Well, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                      Tone drift? Well, I did find this image: https://www.lyst.com/jewelry/lulu-fr...ne-drift-cuff/

Stability and headroom. Well, never mind.
                      miss-linked I think Mike!

Comment

No it wasn't. Tone drift applies to the item. Stability and headroom apply to... Well, never mind.

Comment

When they said "FatStack" they were referring to the target customer's required wallet thickness, I think.
                          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]38251[/ATTACH]

from FAQ

im sold
                            not
                            Ha! That's pretty funny, someone got cute with photoshop to have a laugh at Mercury......
                            ...(that's obviously a spoof, right?)
                            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                              Ha! That's pretty funny, someone got cute with photoshop to have a laugh at Mercury......
                              ...(that's obviously a spoof, right?)
                              Reading your post made me wonder. Because I'd heard of MM's "FatStack" product, but not the "SuperStack". Since the photo is utterly ridiculous I figured I should fact check it before continuing to bash their stupidity. Turns out that image is right from MM's promotional lit.

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/page...-JPCervoni.pdf

So now I'm free to bash their stupidity again

To be straight up about it, I'm not saying it doesn't work. But there's nothing wrong with the way a normal stack works and whatever improvement one can expect, if any under normal operating conditions, has got to be utterly insignificant for the additional expense, weight, etc. Like pouring two gallons of water into a half full one gallon container to make sure it's extra full

Comment

That is a true ad
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X