Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

add an attenuator to an existing tweeter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add an attenuator to an existing tweeter?

I thought I had bookmarked an article on the subject, but cannot find it.

A friend has a Behringer BB210 cabinet with a tweeter and it only offers the choice between hard attack and soft attack on the tweeter. My bud wants me to modify it to a standard adjustable attenuator.

What's the most cost effective way to accomplish that?

Parts express has L- pads with knobs, plates, the whole kit HERE.

1) Look at the tweeter model and determine wattage and impedance.
    2) Order an L-pad kit with appropriate impedance and wattage.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Wow. Didn't realize it was so simple. Thanks

Comment

What wattage would be appropriate?

Comment

Since that unit is capable of handling 600w you need the beefiest Lpad possible, so a 100w unit, but you'll also need to be sure the impedance matches, and theres no real way to know without opening it up what the tweeter imp. is. 8ohm L-pads are most common but they do not handle too much power well. If its a 4 ohm tweeter you could use a stereo 8 ohm 100w Lpad wired in parallel for best power handling.

Two beefy resistors can do the same thing as the adjustable Lpad if your friend can agree on an attenuation level they like without it being adjustable, see here:
          L-PADS

The soft and hard attack switch just turns tweeter OFF or ON respectively.

Comment

The OP is looking to attenuate only the tweeter, so the 600W rating is irrelevant. The only power rating of concern is the power rating on the tweeter, since only program from the crossover frequency up will pass through the Lpad. There may be a wattage and impedance rating stamped on the tweeter itself. If not get out the meter to find impedance and you can approximate the wattage close enough by comparing the driver to others on the web. Whatever the wattage, it's always best to install an overrated L-pad.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I don't remember telling him to hold out for a 600w L pad but yeah never get one <100w in my experience
              Last edited by tedmich; 03-03-2015, 02:33 AM.

Comment

You could wire a bridge together with 3 resistors and the L-pad going to the tweeter to reduce the wattage required for the L-pad. (The resistors need to have the same resistance as the L-pad.) I'll post a drawing if I can find one...

This will reduce the watts going to the tweeter but it sounds like that might be desired.

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                X