No announcement yet.

JCM 2000 DSL no output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF you do indeed have continuity from V5 pin 2 & pin7 to V4 & V3, pin 4/5 & 9, then you cannot explain the lack of voltage on V4 & V3.
    Something is not being measured correctly.

Comment

Or maybe the continuity is failing only when current is flowing?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's not that difficult of a circuit.
        The heaters are in parallel.
        Like stacked up checkers.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	836923

"Typical" heater circuit for reference.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Could be corrosion, a bad solder connection, break in the wire inside the insulation, jumper s wire between those two points.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyk View Post
              Thanks for that heads up Justin!
              V4 and V3 across pin 9 and 4/5 = 1.55 VAC
              Correction********

V3 & 4 read 7.28VAC across pin 9 and 5

Sorry for the false reading there Jazz P...........stressful week here.

Comment

Isn't 7.2 VAC a little too high for the heaters on V5 thru V8? Aren't they supposed to 6.3 VAC?

Comment

Is that with tubes in or tubes out? Tubes out, it should drop when they're in. Tubes in, yeah, that's high... I guess if tubes aren't regularly burning out, though, it's okay... the Super Twin I had for a while didn't eat the tubes with 7.1V. Seems +\-10% is allowable for spec.

Justin
                  Last edited by Justin Thomas; 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM.
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                    Is that with tubes in or tubes out? Tubes out, it should drop when they're in. Tubes in, yeah, that's high... I guess if tubes aren't regularly burning out, though, it's okay... the Super Twin I had for a while didn't eat the tubes with 7.1V. Seems +\-10% is allowable for spec.

Justin
                    That was tubes out.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_170828.jpg
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	837053Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_170846.jpg
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	837054

Comment

That's par for the course with no tubes in. All your voltages will be higher, with nothing to pull the current.

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Well the symptoms have somewhat changed since the beginning of this thread and I cannot figure out why. All I have done is clean and tightened the tube sockets, reflowed solder, and take some voltage readings. I have inspected the main board under a magnifier a dozen times looking for incidental solder bridges and cracked traces. When I first got it only 3 of the 4 power tubes would light up other than the lighted power switch itself. Now none of the tubes light up and the power switch flickers when I turn it on then goes out. I have tried different tubes. I ran jumpers from the power tube sockets pin 2 and 7 to the tubes not installing them and they light up just fine. Quite frankly I’m a bit baffled. I would really like to repair this but my knowledge of how circuits’ works is my weak spot. Any thoughts?

Comment

Have you resoldered all the sockets?
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

yes

Comment

You said the power tube flickers, is this the same or a separate issue? When you run the jumpers to the tubes, does the power switch now stay lit?
                              When you use the jumpers, I assume you only try one tube. How about when you only plug one tube into the socket, still no heater?

Edit: removed info that referred to wrong schematic.
                              Last edited by g1; 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                                Have you resoldered all the sockets?
                                I looked them over several times on both side to make sure I didn't over do it. Deoxed and retensioned them all. What are your thoughts. I could always remove them completely and inspect. I'm guessing I should do that before I go any further.

Comment

Working...
                                X