Coil winder technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil winder technology?

Hi "Pickup winders"i´m trying to understand the way it works but...Anyway can anyone clarify it please?

According to Adnan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM85k-1UXbc

"The spinning motor drives a encoder which produces dir and pulse signals and also produce one pulse per revolution. The one pulse per revolution signal goes to the both counters. Counter one stops the whole procces after reaching total amount of windings. The second counter controls a relays which reverses dir and pulse signals. Example: amount of windings is 8000 and amount of windings per layer is 230. Wire thickness is 0,056 mm. The first counter is set at 8000 and the second one at 230. Any single revolution gives a one pulse to the both counters. Counter one switches the spinning motor of by reaching 8000 revolutions.
    Counter 2 changes the direction by reaching 230 revolutions and reset him self with a small micro swithch at the beginning point. The wire carrier is also mechanicaly adjustable. Speed of ancoder is reduced with a small reductor and with 1/2/4/8/16 steps/micro steps brought close as possible to make a movement of 0,056mm (AWG 43) per revolution"

The second counter makes no sense. I guess he wants to pack as much wire per layer as possible. He had no interest in mimicking hand winding and didn't want to have a CPU to control traverse direction.

Comment

I think there is more to it than in the description paragraph.

In the example the change in direction happens after 230 turns (tpl). It goes on to describe how each movement of the traverse happens after one revolution of the winder motor and is setup to be equal to the thickness of the wire used, in this case, AWG43. This implies (to me anyway) that it is set up to lay down wire exactly side by side and that, in this instance, the bobbin height of exactly .506".

It doesn't describe how it would accommodate a bobbin of a different height and/or a different tpl. In my experience, the speed of the traverse is a function of the desired tpl in conjunction with bobbin height and the rpm of the wind (rotary action motor).

Again, I just don't think the entire process/logic is being described here, but I could easily be missing the boat.

That winder is a very nice bit of machining!
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

I think this numbers are just to illustrate,
        to change TLP he changes steps/microsteps .

Comment

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
          I think this numbers are just to illustrate,
          to change TLP he changes steps/microsteps .
          I am going to walk away from this one after this. But, when I see the word "microsteps", I think in terms of a CNC Winder like I built with two bipolar stepper motors. I think of processor based controllers. I am willing to stand corrected on this but. . . Micro steps in a bipolar stepper motor controller environment is a breakdown of each step into smaller steps (in the case of my stepper controller, 16 steps) for the purpose of making the rotation of the motor smoother. So a 1.8° stepper would have 200 steps per rotation (360°/1.8°=200). Each of those steps is reduced into "microsteps" for the smoother rotation if the controller is capable. Again, in my case, the 200 steps is broken down further to 16 microsteps per step given 3,200 per rotation. From what I understand, you can change the number of steps (or microsteps) you take before doing some change, but I'm not sure that you can change "steps/microsteps" whatever than means. So this is why I am confused by the paragraph you originally quoted.

The winder is REALLY well crafted (IMO) and appears to be a stand alone unit. That said, I do not see from the controls (see image below) where the tpl and bobbin height are incorporated into the wind parameters from the images available of the control interface. basically, how they are incorporated into the math of "microsteps". I am into this kinda stuff and am interested in understanding more as obviously I am missing the boat on how this incredibly crafted winder incorporated the parameters of tpl and bobbin height into the wind formula on the traverser aspect.

Love the video, Love the the machining craftsmanship of the winder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice Winder.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	837034
          Last edited by kayakerca; 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Amazing workmanship right down to the smallest detail.

Wish I could see the wire guide better.

So cool.

Comment

My bet is that he controls winding details from an unseen laptop. He clearly wrote some software to tie the pieces together, and the human interface may be to change parameters and recompile.

The microstepping may be accomplished by mechanical means. It's pretty easy to arrange a 5:1 ratio using pulleys of 5:1 diameter ratio and a toothed belt.

He has a small machine shop. In the background is a square-column mini-mill. Not seen but likely there is a small lathe.

Comment

So he has an air pressure gauge and switches to raise and lower that pressure. Is that how he sets his wire tension?

The other red and blue buttons on the far right set the spindle direction to CW or CCW.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  So he has an air pressure gauge and switches to raise and lower that pressure. Is that how he sets his wire tension?
                  The two buttons under the pressure gauge are labelled "clamp" and "release". I'm thinking they operate the bobbin mounting retention plate. In the video at ~ 4:50 you can see him push the right most of those two buttons and it releases the wound bobbin.
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

what part is at 1:50m?

Comment

Achiles,
                      That looks like a power supply module with voltage regulator.

Comment

Thanx David,Kayakerca.

Comment

Working...
                        X