Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic VTX 65 watt combo question for Enzo

Hey Enzo,

I see people posting about problems with their Peavey Classic VTX combo amps. I wanted to ask what configuration the 2 power tubes are set up as? I haven't looked at a schematic for this amp.

Reason I ask this is I also one of these 2x12 combos and the power tubes never really heat up as much as a standard push pull A/B class setup. My Classic VTX was made in 1982 and still have the original Sylvania STR power tubes in it so however Peavey designed this amp it doesn't seem to push the tubes very much, these tubes are still strong after all those years.

Surprisingly the amp sounds good but not as good as my 50 watt Marshall head thru a 2x12 Marshall cab.

Slo
    Last edited by Slobrain; 03-10-2015, 01:06 PM.

I am not sure what you are asking. This amp is like the other Peavey VTX series amps. Look at the schematic. Tubes are cathode driven, and closer to class B than most other amps, a lot like MusicMan amps.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I am not sure what you are asking. This amp is like the other Peavey VTX series amps. Look at the schematic. Tubes are cathode driven, and closer to class B than most other amps, a lot like MusicMan amps.
      I haven't had a chance to look at the schematic.

I wonder if it would be worth rewiring it to setup as a standard A/B push pull and not cathode driven so I can get a better sound out of it. Not sure to say the amp is bad as is but making it more like the stock fender or Marshall output as opposed to the current setup.

Its not a bad amp and sounds pretty good but just doesn't stack up to other amps I have. Then again its got the SS front end so even changing the power tube config may not help it that much...

Thanks Enzo

Comment

Might be more beneficial to re-cap it, if it has not had any service. Those 33 year old electrolytics (even the small ones) may no longer be up to snuff. Then perhaps new speakers...

Comment

And who says the power tube drive is why you don't like the sound?

One could of course rewire it for a "conventional" circuit. I mean there are tube sockets there, and you could wire anything to them you like. That wouldn't be my first choice though.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X