Want to build an Orange head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build an Orange head

Hello! Im new to the forum and amp building. I have a low budget--youth ministery doesnt bring in the big bucks --and need a new head. Im very mechanical and have all the electronics tools but have never attempted anything much besides following shcematics to mod my pedals. I found some schematics of an orange head (i think haha) but im not picky, i just want to build a decent tube head. Ive seached all around but cannot find a good starting point.

You can look at the schematic here, http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3...hic120mkii.jpg

whats the question?

a good starting point is www.tubesandmore.com

you can start with a chassis and transformers, sockets, etc...

Comment

Realy, imho, you'd be better starting modding PA amps, or old phono, amps. Then after, try something simple like a 5E3. Then you could do an orange. Orange are complicated.

Bye.

Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
        ......Orange are complicated.

Max.
        Ain't that the truth! Took me three tries to get an Orange to really give up the goods. And my Dad built / modded / repaired amps for a living, so it's not like I was short of help.

Do something simpler first. Then, once you've got your hand in, build an Orange. It's worth doing 'cos they really deliver the goods, especially if you make the first stage a dissimilar parallel input stage. Dad's standard mod was 220k plate for one triode, 200k for the other. Common cathode cap and resistor, tied grids.

Signal out through two seperate coupling caps. Triode with 200K plate load was standard Orange value, other one was a bit lower but I don't recall the exact value.
        So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

Working...
        X