No announcement yet.

Klemt Echolette S...(cont.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the answer. Yes I have replaced the bridge and all power caps to 4x47MF. No hum at all.
    Yesterday I had a short test with a new tape and it seems that the unit is okay.
    One interesting thing is that the "magic eye" which is about a half millimeter slice without sound. If I play music at maximum peak, it only widen to about 3 millimeters not more.
    Is there any trimmer pot to adjust the "magic eye" circuit signal input? Or the tube is faulty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O0G-LsTk6Q

Comment

There is no adjustment and the tube is not faulty.
      As I said in my last reply you should replace all those small capacitors..0047, .022 etc
      Which model do you own, does it have a printed circuit board or are the small parts wired to tag strips, there are some differences in the circuitry and the ease in which components can be replaced.

Comment

Hello Mickey,
        I have the one, with circuit board. Yes it would be nice to replace all caps. but i guess I will not dis-montage the unit.
        I fear that some or more wire will break (as I experienced already during fault analysis).
        So now the unit works and does its function as expected after 50 years.
        Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey View Post
          There is no adjustment and the tube is not faulty.
          As I said in my last reply you should replace all those small capacitors..0047, .022 etc
          Which model do you own, does it have a printed circuit board or are the small parts wired to tag strips, there are some differences in the circuitry and the ease in which components can be replaced.
          Hi Mickey,
          I have noticed that you are an expert for repairing Echolette NG51S echo units. I have an Echolette NG51 S my model is with a printed circuitboards, everything works perfectly, transportation system all five magnetic heads have 1.2 KOhm resistance a ‘Dry’ signal is crisp and without any hum, I checked two playback heads by gently teaching them with a screwdriver and they work, I can hear them via my guitar amplifier.

However, I cannot get any echo sound. I measured the voltage on the variable caps and I got low voltage result. Head 1 has 20 Volts, Head 2 had 30 Volts and Head 3 approx 44 Volts all voltages have 65KHz frequency. The erase head has only 20 Volts!?

Is it possible that the high friquency oscillator is not working or should I check something else?
          Thank you in advance,
          Sinisa

Comment

Originally posted by Sin1949 View Post

However, I cannot get any echo sound. I measured the voltage on the variable caps and I got low voltage result. Head 1 has 20 Volts, Head 2 had 30 Volts and Head 3 approx 44 Volts all voltages have 65KHz frequency. The erase head has only 20 Volts!?

Is it possible that the high friquency oscillator is not working or should I check something else?
            I'd say 65kHz is your oscillator frequency, so it's working.

I guess you used a scope for the measurements?

Are all switches working properly?
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hi Helmholtz,

Yes, I used a digital scope and high quality Fluke multimeter and I got 65KHz oscillator frequency measuring on the three variable capacitors connected to recording heads.

I know that the voltage on the recording heads should be in. the range of 40Volts for Head 1, 70Volts Head 2 and 90Volts for Head 3.

So my question is: Let say, consider that the high frequency oscillator is working how to bring up the Voltage on three recording heads? Also I checked the ECC82 oscillator tube and it is working properly.

All the switches are working properly.

Comment

Where do the reference HF voltages come from?

Are you sure you're not comparing RMS values with peak-to-peak values?

Did you ever measure your HF voltages before this failure?
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-11-2021, 01:19 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I measured the Voltage/Frequency at the three variable capacitors located at the right hand side of the chassis looking at the face plate of the echo unit. I did not measure Voltage/Frequency before.

Also when I connect the echo unit with the guitar amplifier and when I am touching the connectors of those three variable capacitors I can hear a sound (screeching sound) from the amplifier. That is telling me that there is some ‘life’ connection between the variable capacitors and echo unit exit.
                  Last edited by Sin1949; 11-11-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Please answer my other 2 questions above.

I'm not convinced that the HF levels are your root problem.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                      Please answer my other 2 questions above.

I'm not convinced that the HF levels are your root problem.
                      I measured the Voltage directly from the variable capacitors which is the RMS Voltage.
                      At least I think so, as I remember that the Peak Voltage should be calculated by formula 2x square root of RMS

Comment

I measured the Voltage directly from the variable capacitors which is the RMS Voltage.
                        How do you know?

A sine voltage can be specified as RMS value Vrms, peak value Vp = 1.4 Vrms or peak-to -peak value Vpp = 2 Vp = 2.8 Vrms.
                        DMMs typically measure RMS value.
                        With a scope you typically read Vpp.

HF voltages in schematics/manuals are often specified as Vpp.

So again my question: Where did you find the reference HF voltages? Can you post your source?
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-11-2021, 08:21 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

How do you know?

A sine voltage can be specified as RMS value Vrms, peak value Vp = 1.4 Vrms or peak-to -peak value Vpp = 2 Vp = 2.8 Vrms.
                          DMMs typically measure RMS value.
                          With a scope you typically read Vpp.

HF voltages in schematics/manuals are often specified as Vpp.

So again my question: Where did you find the reference HF voltages? Can you post your source?

So, here I am again I checked again the Voltage/Frequency using my digital Scope.

The frequency was 57.3KHz at the Head1 the Vpp = 101.56Volt; Vmax= 50.6Volt and Vmin= 50.9Volt
                          Interesting the same Voltage/Frequency I measured on the H 2.
                          However, I am sure that the Voltage on H 2 I can fine adjust to different values.

Comment

The frequency was 57.3KHz at the Head1 the Vpp = 101.56Volt; Vmax= 50.6Volt and Vmin= 50.9Volt
                            Interesting the same Voltage/Frequency I measured on the H 2.
                            However, I am sure that the Voltage on H 2 I can fine adjust to different values.
                            These values don't look consistent with your earlier measurements.

Some more info here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...tte-klemt-ng51

Judging from the variable cap values HF bias should increase from head 1 to head 3.

But I don't think wrong HF voltages are the reason for your missing echo sound.
                            So you need to do real troubleshooting.
                            Start with measuring tube DC voltages and post them.
                            Then feed a 100mV/1kHz signal to an instrument input and trace it to the record level controls.

There is useful info earlier in this thread.

Be prepared to replace a tube.
                            Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-13-2021, 06:25 PM.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

These values don't look consistent with your earlier measurements.

Some more info here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...tte-klemt-ng51

Judging from the variable cap values HF bias should increase from head 1 to head 3.

But I don't think wrong HF voltages are the reason for your missing echo sound.
                              So you need to do real troubleshooting.
                              Start with measuring tube DC voltages and post them.
                              Then feed a 100mV/1kHz signal to an instrument input and trace it to the record level controls.

There is useful info earlier in this thread.

Be prepared to replace a tube.
                              Thank you for the quick response. Yes you are absolutely right, the results are not consistent because in the mean time I have adjusted/tuned the variable capacitors and the trim resistors. Also I used then my old analog Tektronix 2212 scope and Fluke multimeter and I got obviously the half of the Vpp.

But I will change the Voltage setting and now I am using Hantek Digital scope which is reading automatically the Voltage and Frequencies.

As I know the HF bias should be be 60Volt at H1, 90Volt at H2 and 120Volt measured at H3.
                              The erase head should be approx 70Volt.

Tonight I will measure all the points that you mentioned. Soon after I will post the results.
                              Best Regards from rainy Vancouver, BC, Canada

Comment

As I know the HF bias should be be 60Volt at H1, 90Volt at H2 and 120Volt measured at H3.
                                The erase head should be approx 70Volt.
                                I already asked several times: What is your source? And are these Vpp or Vrms values, as the difference would be almost a factor of 3?
                                Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-13-2021, 11:32 PM.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X