Mojotone pricing for fiber pickup bobbins :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
    Looks a bit like you are more interested in selling one or two parts to small Hobby builders.
    Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Because of the ease of how someone can set up a web page, letterhead and business card and register for a trade account, any suppler has to have a means of establishing whether someone is using an account just to get a discount on some hobbyist parts, or those people in the trade buying serious quantities.
    I think maybe we are hurting here for bit a better definition of "hobbyist" winder here. As an example, I am buying multiple thousands of dollars of pickup parts alone from Mojo annually and also buying pickup parts from other suppliers including AllParts, StewMac and ADFX. I have a website, letterhead, Facebook and run my pickup winding through a corporation.

I consider myself a hobbyist because I have no intention of doing this 40 hours a week or hiring on staff. But I consider myself different from the "hobbyist" that builds a half dozen sets of pickups for his/her own guitars and a couple of friends.

Do I think that the winders that are working at it 60 hours a week would benefit from having "hobbyists" such as myself purchase at volume based "retail" pricing structure whereby doubling my parts cost. Hell Yes they would!

Do I think the "commercial hobbyist" winder should be purchasing under a volume based "dealer" pricing structure helping level the playing field a bit with the next tier of winder? Hell Yes I do!

Just my 2 cents worth on this "hobbyist" word we toss around so freely.
    Last edited by kayakerca; 03-13-2015, 07:40 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Maybe Dennis hasn't had to rebuild his laser yet. Once the tube gets old I hear the cost of each cut takes on a new meaning.

David ZParts.
      European countries have very aggressive customs agents these days as so much revenue needs to be raised. The Danes are particularly strident. A logo on the box or the sealing tape must indicate to them that they are dealing with a legitimate business that isn't likely to fudge numbers on their customs forms. A value added tax is tacked on to both the contents and the shipping charges. It adds up fast but it's something everybody pays. Where the trouble is is when customs agents get suspicious and decide to hold a package for a few weeks to go through the contents and check the prices on line. That extra time can break the bank.
      Yes that is completely right.....

Comment

Dennis made the deal....

Originally posted by Claus H View Post
        Yes that is completely right.....
        Just to let you know, I got my invoice from Dennis and he sells those 200 greybobbin flats for 1.22 USD plus 28.87 USD for shipping to D.
        That much less than Mojo would Charge me for 100 Sets without shipping.

Comment

I just got 40 sets from Dennis, top quality service and product, maybe 5 days from the USA. I just put a couple of bobbins together and these are the best I have ever made!

Comment

I don't mean to be "that guy", but the price isn't crazy, IMO. I can understand needing to adjust the cost every once in a while...is the extra buck really gonna hurt, especially if you like the product.

When I look at a part, if I think it's the best available part, I'll pay for it. I picked up some Mojo strat kits for my own guitar recently and was really happy with the product for the price.

I like mojo, they've been pretty cool with me. The American made HB Keepers, covers and baseplates is what I find pricy, but I pay it and I'm happy with the parts. If your parts costs goes from $10 to $12 bucks and you're getting quality parts...is that really the hill you're going to die on. Theres a few things I wish they were better on, things I get from somewhere else...like wire and pole pieces.

I've been 100% happy with the bar magnet prices, I'm not getting better prices anywhere else. I've got a grab bag coming from another supplier to test out, see if the shipping/ordering process is any better from what I'm getting from Mojo, so far it's a tie....but I can tack on a few odd balls with a mojo order, the other place has min quantities and all they do is magnets...so, we'll see how it goes.

There's a few things I can get at a little better pricing elsewhere, but it's offset by separate shipping costs...one stop shopping has it's value. The biggest thing for us "international types" is shipping, mojo accommodates me, it's not the fastest, but they're still ahead of most places for me.

I've had a few issues with a couple of Mojo's items, but 19 times out of 20, they hit the mark. If a business can supply that many items and get it right that many times, I'll continue to shop there.

Who's better?

PS...it kind of sucks when these discussions get personal, I hate to see that stuff between vendor/customer, no matter which side you're on.

Comment

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
              If your parts costs goes from $10 to $12 bucks and you're getting quality parts...is that really the hill you're going to die on. Theres a few things I wish they were better on, things I get from somewhere else...like wire and pole pieces.
              Increasing a Strat pickup from $10 to $12 is a big deal. That $2 is on the U.S.$ price listed on the websites. That's $6.00 for a set and if you live outside the U.S. (like here in Canada), multiply that by 1.5 minimum to clear the boarder and deal with the exchange difference. So that $2 increase per pickup becomes $9 for a set. That is huge, especially when you sell to luthiers and guitar tech's at a price that is substantially lower than your retail price.

I like Mojo and they treat me fair. But, there are a some pickup parts I buy elsewhere because I have to keep my costs as low as possible for the quality level I want to maintain for my customers.

BTW, Mojo has reduced the dealer cost of their Strat flatwork so it is now below the retail once again.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

[QUOTE=kayakerca;379646]Increasing a Strat pickup from $10 to $12 is a big deal. That $2 is on the U.S.$ price listed on the websites. That's $6.00 for a set and if you live outside the U.S. (like here in Canada), multiply that by 1.5 minimum to clear the boarder and deal with the exchange difference. So that $2 increase per pickup becomes $9 for a set. That is huge, especially when you sell to luthiers and guitar tech's at a price that is substantially lower than your retail price.

I like Mojo and they treat me fair. But, there are a some pickup parts I buy elsewhere because I have to keep my costs as low as possible for the quality level I want to maintain for my customers.

Well said. The Fedex shipping is another 100 USD plus the custom fees and taxes....

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                  Increasing a Strat pickup from $10 to $12 is a big deal. That $2 is on the U.S.$ price listed on the websites. That's $6.00 for a set and if you live outside the U.S. (like here in Canada), multiply that by 1.5 minimum to clear the boarder and deal with the exchange difference. So that $2 increase per pickup becomes $9 for a set. That is huge, especially when you sell to luthiers and guitar tech's at a price that is substantially lower than your retail price.

BTW, Mojo has reduced the dealer cost of their Strat flatwork so it is now below the retail once again.
                  Those are valid points and I can't disagree with you, but I still think it's not worth gathering the villagers and grabbing a pitchfork over.

Mojo raises prices, there are other options to choose from. I just don't think it called for the vitriol that was in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                    Your saying they reduced the price ?
                    I didn't see that .
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      Your saying they reduced the price ?
                      I didn't see that .
                      I take that back.

The dealer pricing has been reduced, but so has the retail. They are still both the same. I saw the dealer pricing down and assumed (incorrectly) that it was now lower than the retail, when when I check, it was not.

I never noticed before, but there is a "price match" button with the Strat formwork (among other products). Anyone ever tried seeing if Mojo will match prices?
                      Take Care,

Jim. . .
                      VA3DEF

Comment

It's over my head why a commercial seller does not attach an invoice such as an outside attached Receipt and Customs declaration. It was more than once that the box got stuck at the German Customs for a week or so until I got a notification to go there, for doing a customs declaration and pay.
                        Well that's driving about 10 Miles through heavy traffic until to get to this kind of German Reich smelling ambient, picking up a number and watching the numbers closely for 4 hours until it's calling you. Calling you, the guilty man, the tax payer, dumb ass potential cheatin' smuggler freak. "Sir, please open the box". How come? Didn't you read the invoice?,...No, we don't open boxes, we just read the invoice.",...but,..."No, there was no invoice attached outside the box. Here's a knife. Thanx
                        "Ooups, whazzad? No invoice, no receipt, no nothin' inside that can be used for the declaration!!!
                        Bad looks on both sides. "Can I use your computer to get into my mojt. account and viewing my order? Yes go ahead.
                        Then while I was desperately looking for the details some young officer came to pick me up and giving me a bad fuzz as they were about to close at 8 p.m. Can you imagine how it feels after hours and hours of waiting time. It takes 10 seconds to attach an invoice. I urge you to do that on each single order, just like any other company is doing too. nothing special about that but a lot of evil to the recipient if not.
                        Now as for prizes, that's really a delicate thing and I'm not totally happy w. every item you're selling. Wrong PU mounting screws going w. the start kits, wrong PU mounting screws for the Tele neck PU (Bobbin holes need to be enlarged) and the HB PU covers look a bit cheesy w. the top surface forming a slightly visible convex belly. Not exactly what I would sell if you are specialized on high end perfect replica products.

Comment

I am actually looking into selling flatwork. I want to get some feedback from everyone here. I have priced out what I would charge for a top and bottom set at $2 with the eyelet already pressed. I would also have the flatwork cleaned up so there would be no need to wipe off the mess. Let me know what you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by NLS Pickups View Post
                            I am actually looking into selling flatwork. I want to get some feedback from everyone here. I have priced out what I would charge for a top and bottom set at $2 with the eyelet already pressed. I would also have the flatwork cleaned up so there would be no need to wipe off the mess. Let me know what you guys think.
                            Can you make all shapes, or just strat flatwork.
                            I would think you could sell some of the different shapes that no one cuts.
                            Like P-Bass, J-Bass for 5/16, and 3/8" magnets?
                            Shapes for Blades etc?
                            You might carve out your own Niche, pun intended!
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Can you make all shapes, or just strat flatwork.
                              I would think you could sell some of the different shapes that no one cuts.
                              Like P-Bass, J-Bass for 5/16, and 3/8" magnets?
                              Shapes for Blades etc?
                              You might carve out your own Niche, pun intended!
                              T
                              The plan is to start off doing flatwork , custom and standard options, then open the business to other areas. But yes there will be bass as well and also engraving.

Comment

Working...
                              X