School me on used parts prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on used parts prices

So after fixing my Fender Super Champ X2 (detailed here ) and reviving a Champion 600 i got in parts I can honestly say the tinkering bug has caught me. I have decided to try to make some pedals and got some used germanium transistors and other parts from the internets.
    I got 25 germanium transistors (ac 122 151 180 153 187 and some double + 15 ac121), 15 small Ba(brand i guess?) diodes with different values, 25 unknown (non power) transistors and 20 micro switches(the small round buttons). I paid 23 euros with shipping included, that's about 25 usd.
    Is this a fair price? I have really no idea if its in the ballpark of what some of you here would pay or if I totally overpaid. I'm planning on getting more used transistors after I did some playing around with this stuff so some input on prices would be great.
    Thanks!

The only way to know the value of what you bought is to use them in a repair or a project. If they sit in a drawer, they don't do a lot of good. I never buy used parts. If I did, it would only be power vacuum tubes from a reliable source, but even then, I'd probably take my chances on new ones. Diodes and non-power transistors are cheap. It's a good idea to have a variety of parts on hand for projects, but you need to have the right parts. I haven't used or replaced a microswitch in 25 years.

Comment

+1

As a hobbyist myself, I've "tried" to watch my spending and manage my budget, but, well...

For instance, I have a PT for a small tube amp laying idle, because I under-spec'd it, and had to order a slightly larger one, So U$40 or thereabouts sits. Money I spent but may never use. On the other hand, some parts (like resistors) have a bulk price break so steep that if I think I'll want 10, I might just get a lot of 100, since that number doesn't cost any more than buying 30 (three lots of 10). I know I will use them all, eventually. But parts bought and never used are not a good deal at any price!

As far as used parts? maybe if it was a vintage part that I needed for a specific job to match a vintage spec. I've followed a few threads in the last couple days about obsolete transistors for some older gear. But 'any old' transistor is not the same thing as the exact replacement transistor. I guess I'm saying I wouldn't buy used parts unless the need for that specific used part was apparent. New parts can be widely available, cheaper, and more reliable. Not always, but often enough to make it my choice.

edit: Champion 600? That got my tinkerer's bug going few years ago! I modded it several times, now it's waiting for an eyelet board retrograde into something tweedier.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Ok, that sounds like good considerations, thanks.
        A question though on "old" parts like germanium transistors. I read all the time that they are necessary for "that vintage" fuzz sound. But those arent made anymore, right? So you guys buy NOS or just modern parts that are specced the same?
        Edit:
        Not implying everybody here is building fuzzes ofcourse :P
        What I meant was more a question for what you would do if doing a build of something that specifies parts that arent made anymore or hard to come by, but supposedly do affect the sound.

Comment

You are correct in that the Ge transistors are considered to hold the mojo for those old fuzz boxes. I'm out of my depth when it comes to how many kinds of Ge transistors there are, and which kinds are best for the fuzz box application. A search of these fora will turn up a few discussions about that exact topic, I'm sure

What I have learned is that 'used' is often synonymous with 'reject' when it comes to usefulness for the desired task. Caveat emptor, and all that. Again, prospecting through MEF will help identify any opportunities or concerns.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Normally I wouldn't buy used parts .... to save what? ..... fractions of a cent?

On the other side, sometimes I cannibalize parts out of junkbin grade stuff I have lying around .... which could be considered "shopping for used parts".

But in this particular case, given that Germanium transistors are not being made but were used by the truckload in 60's stuff (I vividly remember buying Toshiba or Hitachi made "Spica radio transistor pack" with 3 RF type ones, 2SAxxx and 3 audio types, 2SBxxx and using them for everything) so I guess somebody has a ton (literally) old discarded radios, record players, tape recorders, even TVs and is building a small empire by disassembling them and selling the "pulls" .

FWIW there's people doing almost the same with Mojo full JRC4558, available by the dozen inside any old 70s or 80s Japanese Hi Fi equipment (think Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, Technics, Sony).

A graphic equalizer should have one per band plus a couple more.

As of being fair or not, stuff price is the amount of money for which it actually changes hands, not what you ask or what you expect to pay.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I would avoid used transistors of any type, unless you find an old piece of equipment for free (or very low cost) and remove them yourself. Even NOS germanium transistors are to be regarded with suspicion. Many have excessive leakage or low gain and some have particularly unstable characteristics.

In the main the mojo surrounding certain transistors is a myth. The tolerance of old parts was very slack and I've rarely found a pedal design that has to have a specific transistor. The exception is perhaps the original maestro FZ-1, which ironically relies on high leakage to bias the stages - though the addition of a couple of extra resistors fixes this to enable a wide range of transistors to be used.

In recent years I've sidestepped the idiotic prices being asked for NOS Ge transistors by purchasing Russian devices. I've found them to be superb, though as with any internet purchase you need to beware of sharks. Even these are creeping up now that Joe Bonamassa uses them in a Fuzz Face.

I recommend breadboarding a straightforward circuit (Fuzz-face or whatever) and swapping transistors to give you some idea of what sounds good. Mostly what you hear comes down to gain and leakage, not the part number.

As for Ge diodes, there are plenty available new and you get the benefit of long lead length.

Comment

Mick, where are you purchasing new Ge transistors and diodes?

Comment

Tayda has new Ge diodes.

I've had 100% satisfaction buying Ge transistors from elena8913 on Ebay. YMMV and there are plenty of other sellers, though some are notoriously bad.

The difference with Russian transistors is the leakage is much lower than the western counterparts. They continued to manufacture Ge long after production was finished in the west (I have many dated 1980 onwards) and many were intended for military applications. You have to be wary that you're not buying batches that have been picked over to leave bottom-of-the-pile lower gain examples. Remember that the hfe ranges can be quite wide for a given part number. You may be hoping for 100 or better, but could end up with 30 and still be within spec. Do your research on Russian components and it can pay off.

Comment

Working...
                  X