Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making taller bucker bobbins out of existing bobbins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making taller bucker bobbins out of existing bobbins...

Have tried this a few times with the GJ F-spaced bobbins by cutting two of them in half slightly off-center and gluing the two larger halves together. Unfortunately there's not a lot of surface area for the joint so even crazy glue doesn't seem to hold them together.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    Have tried this a few times with the GJ F-spaced bobbins by cutting two of them in half slightly off-center and gluing the two larger halves together. Unfortunately there's not a lot of surface area for the joint so even crazy glue doesn't seem to hold them together.

Anyone have any other ideas?
    These bobbins are usually nylon or the like, to which very few glues will stick. I'd melt them together with a hot knife, pare the lumps with a sharp knife, and tape over the rough spots so the wire won't snag.
    Last edited by Joe Gwinn; 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

you should sand both cut surfaces before you try to glue. Get a wood burning hobby tool then then sorta melt the seams together after you glue, then maybe use some fabric tape soaked in epoxy or fiberglass resin or something and wrap with that, I would think it'd hold together after all that. kind of a hassle though....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Is there something you can use to 'chemically weld' them back together? You can do that with plexiglas (or is it Lexan?...I forget). Just an idea...maybe worth looking into.

Comment

Have you tryed to take the tops and bottoms off. Sand them flush, and use longer poles. You should be able to epoxy the top and bottom, just make sure your poles are flush. You can make a shaft out of Hard maple for the screws......I'm on the look out for some "middle" material myself. Id think the epoxy would work. 600 works good.

Comment

Your just going to have to experiment to find the right kind of glue. Universal PVC pipe cement? model airplane cement (the thin kind)? You want something that's going to melt the two halves together. I've used Plastruct plastic weld on stewmac bobbins.

Comment

My take on this is as follows:

Cut the bottom of the bobbin off. Then cut some styrene to the shape of the inner part of the bobbin, then glue the parts together with a contact cement. When the pieces are joined and the glue's set, drill out the holes in the styrene section.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

... use the old bobbins as a master to make a mold. Then cast up new bobbins out of casting polyester or epoxy.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

what kind of contact cement?

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                    what kind of contact cement?
                    3M Pronto would do the job. They key thing is to clamp the pieces together in a vice whilst they set.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                      Have you tryed to take the tops and bottoms off. Sand them flush, and use longer poles. You should be able to epoxy the top and bottom, just make sure your poles are flush. You can make a shaft out of Hard maple for the screws......I'm on the look out for some "middle" material myself. Id think the epoxy would work. 600 works good.
                      I think you're onto something there Nighter. I made some taller bobbins for bucker-sized P90's the same way, cutting the top and bottom off a P90 bobbin and gluing them onto a lexan center, which held really well. Of course that doesn't mean the bucker-bobbin plastic will hold to the lexan...

Comment

glues...

Do you have a Tap Plastics store near you? they have some different kinds of plastic cements.....
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                        X